• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Before Time

FourSuits

True Blue Australian
so what do you think was before time, mindboggling is the word for it.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Well, that's hard to decide, you have to know what time is first.

See, I believe time is linear (though Stephen Hawking would disagree with me), and that being linear it is also infinite in both directions. Just because there was nothing doesn't mean there wasn't time; in that way it's not hard to imagine what was before time because time has always been.

Firzen

Registered Member
Time is only one of the four dimensions, which we are able to sense and time need a space to exist. No space, no time at all. Before time was no space and i cannot imagine a place where is neither space nor time...Perhaps this place can't exists.
In summary, there could be a place, where is absolutley nothing.

Doc

V.I.P.
Basically the same thing I said, but you added clarification of the four dimensions of spacetime and I only implied. Good man.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't see how time could have ever "not existed". Based on how everything works in the universe as we know it, time has always been ticking. Whether anything was living or not doesn't mean that time wasn't going on.

I also think that time is infinite in both directions. I wouldn't ever want to have to prove that mathematically but I can at least have my opinion. :) (Although I bet it would actually be harder to prove the "start" of time than it being infinite.)

FaKeD

Registered Member
I think time doesn't exist...xD now that i think about it.... its a very complicated matter though.. =/

Doc

V.I.P.
But, what we define as "time" has to exist. It's theoretically impossible for time not to exist.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Time is just a measure that we made up to keep track of the seasons and days and a way to keep track of history.

If you think about it, "it" (Time) wasn't called time till we made a conscious decision to call it that.

To the first cavemen it could have been called un-ga-bunga for all we know.

If you stop to think about it "it "wasn't called time until we started to record our history and events of the day.

I mean to say that if you don't even know something exist you don't name it..Think the dinosaurs had a concept of time or even knew what it was?

So I would say that "time" is a newer relevant concept, that we still haven't mastered or even begun to understand.

But think, if you have no concept of time then time truly doesn't exist, and if it doesn't truly exist then do we truly exist ? Or we just shadows of the past present or future?

Doc

V.I.P.
Why does our brain say that what we define is time is impossible? If we say, use, and live by it doesn't that make all of the majorities correct in their own minds?

The majority is correct in their own minds.

Time is a theoretical creation meant to define the passage of events in a linear progression, both positive and negative. It's impossible for events not to happen, or have happened. So, by definition, time must exist.