"Beating the Gay Out" Anti-Gay Therapy

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Let's start a checklist of what's included in the following story, just so you have a head's up:

- Multiple variations of child abuse
- Brainwashing
- Illegal therapeutic practices
- Domestic violence

And of course, homphobia.

This story is intense but safe for work. Just a warning.

K-State Collegian - Student recounts painful conversion therapy, abuse

I think that this type of story is a problem for both the gay-bashers and pro-gay movements. For the homophobes, it is a damning story and shows nothing but the cruelest, most evil sides of the anti-gay movement. It's dark enough that it may even sway people from visiting church. For the pro-gay people, it presents an extremist image of religious folk that is only going to be true for a minority of the faithful.

What do you think of this story? How did it make you feel?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I agree, it presents a problem for both sides.

I find it disgusting that someone would do that to another human being, much less his own son. He failed his son as a father in not being supportive and understanding.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I just ask myself this question:

Who would Jesus beat into a coma?
I just think of the whole, "May he who is without sin cast the first stone" bit. I mean, everyone is guilty of some wrong doing and to resort to such heinous acts because you believe someone else is sinning is flat anti-Christian . . . well, anti-Jesus anyways.

I agree, it presents a problem for both sides.

I find it disgusting that someone would do that to another human being, much less his own son. He failed his son as a father in not being supportive and understanding.
Amusingly my first thoughts were how bad this would look for both sides since it's an extreme story. But then again, you have to wonder how many people who endure this end up with enough courage to talk about it. Sort of like the problem with rape statistics and how many choose not to report them.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Amusingly my first thoughts were how bad this would look for both sides since it's an extreme story. But then again, you have to wonder how many people who endure this end up with enough courage to talk about it. Sort of like the problem with rape statistics and how many choose not to report them.
I thought the same thing too in reading the story, how many kids have had to endure this kind of abuse and it goes unreported because they don't want to report their parents for things like this. I'm sad for this kid and wish no one had to endure this kind of stuff.

Sim

Registered Member
I just think of the whole, "May he who is without sin cast the first stone" bit. I mean, everyone is guilty of some wrong doing and to resort to such heinous acts because you believe someone else is sinning is flat anti-Christian . . . well, anti-Jesus anyways.
Indeed. And just for the record, I don't want to suggest acts like these are inherent to Christian faith ... but I think it's a good example that people who think of themselves as Christians are not necessarily more moral or better than atheists or members of other religions.

Another thing that came to my mind was the movie "American Beauty". I wonder how much of this homophobic aggression is based on repressed homosexual urges in the violators.

At any rate, it is a very horrible story. It made me feel sad and angry, because I liked to believe we were beyond that, now in the 21st century. Sure, homophobia still exists, but this flat-out violence? It's a sad reminder that we'll still have a long way to go.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Wow!
what a torture he's been going through!
this all proves what's been overly said that homosexuality is not a choice. it just happens. just like we happen to be heterosexuals, others happen to be homosexuals.
I can't deny homosexuals are strange to my eyes[though , in no way, would i call my self a homophobe), but no one deserves going through this. I'm sure his father can be anything but a father.

and forget about religion. it means nothing. whether you're christian/muslim won't make you a better person when you allow something like that to your child. if you don't have a HEART for your child, what's the point in having a heart for your God??

and though we're in the 21st century, it says nothing. you are what you believe and you believe what you are. centuries won't change you if YOU don't plan to change inside of you.

the story was shocking!
more over he was a kid. how can a parent allow something like this to his kid no matter what the kid has done.

Wade8813

Registered Member
(I'm posting this thread as a pre-emptive measure of sorts)

I've spent my entire life around fundamentalist Christians. I've lived in a house full of them. In fact, I was one for most of my life. I've met hundreds, if not thousands of them, and many I've gotten to know fairly well. (As far as I know) I have not met ONE who would condone those behaviors - in fact, I'm confident that virtually all of them would report the parents and therapist for abuse in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.

I've spent my entire life around fundamentalist Christians. I've lived in a house full of them. In fact, I was one for most of my life. I've met hundreds, if not thousands of them, and many I've gotten to know fairly well. (As far as I know) I have not met ONE who would condone those behaviors - in fact, I'm confident that virtually all of them would report the parents and therapist for abuse in a heartbeat.
As I stated before I know this is probably a tiny sliver of the Christian population. But like I said as well, I'm betting this is not something that gets reported very often. I'm sure kids being sexually molested by priests was shrugged off as rarity once stories of it started leaking.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.

I would also add I'm sure there are some misguided individuals who have done this to their son/daughter who are not fundamentalist Christians.