• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Beat Em Ups

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Couldn't see another thread for this already. Odd.
I love beat em ups. One of my favourite genres.
Share your love for them too... Be it MK, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur or whatever...

As a side point too: Mortal Kombat vs DC made me ponder it first, and with Marvel vs Capcom coming soon, it reminded me of the little chat I had with a friend a while back. It centred on the notion of there being other VS beat em ups in which groups of fighters were extracted from any old place and pitted against one another in this sort of game.

Our most enthusiastic choice (as in one I would personally love to see) was Mortal Kombat vs Carry On -- In which a selection of Mortal Kombat characters are pitted for some reason against the cast of the old British Carry On films.
The notion of Hattie Jacques' Matron beating the crap out of Reptile made us laugh, or Kenneth Williams having a scrap with Raiden. The fact that these old duffers could take them on, and perform fatalities even. This is a pretty ridiculous combination, but I couldn't help consider the comedy factor that could be found in such a combination.
Are there combinations you'd like to see? I mean, they probably won't ever be made, but we can all dream can't we?

Konshentz

Konshentz
I don't enjoy them like I used to. Although when they are mixed with other genres (like Batman: Arkham Asylum was) I definitely still get quite a bit of enjoyment out of them.

Mortal Kombat is a classic but that's more of a fighting game than a beat'em up type of game.

My favorites were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Altered Beast.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It's not a traditional fighting game like you described but Dynasty Warriors is my favorite button masher type of game.

I love Soul Calibur 1 and 2. I thought the third one was really bad and I never got to play the fourth one.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Yeah, those are more fighting games than beat em ups. I don't really play these kinds of games anymore. Used to love them way back in the day though. Loved the Double Dragon games and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Double Dragon is one my favorite old school games. The old beat em ups are amazing.

In terms of fighting games. I am a total Mortal Kombat mark. The upcoming April reboot is making me go insane.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Double Dragon is one my favorite old school games. The old beat em ups are amazing.

In terms of fighting games. I am a total Mortal Kombat mark. The upcoming April reboot is making me go insane.
I think my genre term knowledge is a little off. I meant fighting games... And yeah I am also very much looking forward to the new release soon to come. They haven't made an MK yet that I haven't enjoyed in one way or another.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
So if you meant "FIGHTING" games, then you have to talk MK and my current favorite, Super Street Fighter IV.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
So if you meant "FIGHTING" games, then you have to talk MK and my current favorite, Super Street Fighter IV.
Yeah, I'm an idiot, I just assumed beat em up was this, as you generally beat people up. However, if Arkham fits into that then it's an awesome genre, bloody loved every bit of that game, one of the best things I've ever played.
Street Fighter is in the post, looking forward to that.. Haven't bought many new games in a while, so I'm extra happy that it's on it's way. I think it'll eat up many hours.
Also pondering whether I will get Marvel vs Capcom -

As for MK - Well where do you start. The series is vast starting in the simple old days in which moves had to be worked out from scratch and the graphics were basic but manageable, and now we've got the likes of MK vs DC, which although may have perhaps the worst story incorporated into it of all video games, it is still a massive laugh. I wish Armageddon could be acquired in the UK for 360, but unfortunately, my search for it has come up dud... Nonetheless, I have a few other titles that were for the original Xbox that I occasionally play if only to see the odd fatality or kick in the head of the boss one more time. Endless fun.

Your thoughts on MK? Also, don't spoil it but what is so good about Street Fighter. Actually elaborating on that will spoil it... Just how much of a treat am I in for? I'm even more excited now...

narwhal123

i do enjoy beat em up games. play borderlands its of subject but it is really fun and you can use the character biserker his melee is his fist its really fun.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
One of the best beat 'em ups that I have played was X-Men the arcade game! And they finally released it for xbox live. Woohoo!