• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Beastie Boys member Adam Yauch dead at 48

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I was never a fan of the Beastie Boys but this is sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

BigBob

Registered Member
Definitely sad.

I remember being a little kid and seeing the video "Intergalactic" and I fell in love with the song. I won't say they're one of my favorite bands, but I can listen to their music.

Jeru

Registered Member
I remember seeing him live at the Tibetan Freedom Concert in 1999. RIP Nathanial Hörnblowér

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm pretty bummed about this...with me it does include childhood memories (they were the coolest group around when I was in grade school...the guys in my class would listen to them and feel like rockstars, haha). But it also includes the modern day. The Beastie Boys have been in my Top 3 favorite groups since I was a kid. It's pretty tough. Yauch was an amazing guy, and a lot of people may not know about his humanitarian work. Jeru mentioned the Tibetan Freedom piece, he was a great voice for Tibet in raising awareness about their bid for separation from China. He also, after 9/11, formed the benefit "New Yorkers Against Violence." The concert had

"...net proceeds disbursed to the New York Women's Foundation Disaster Relief Fund and the New York Association for New Americans (NYANA) September 11th Fund for New Americans–each chosen for their efforts on behalf of 9/11 victims least likely to receive help from other sources."
The above quote is from Beastie Boys where you can find a touching obituary on the front page for MCA.

Also interesting, musician reactions to MCA's death on Twitter: Adam Yauch: Q-Tip, Def Jam & More React on Twitter - Spinner

R.I.P. MCA, and thank you for everything.

Dekzper

Registered Member
I've seen a few of their youtubes and they def owned. RIP. :(