Bay of pigs

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by posleen, Jan 9, 2008.

1. posleen

posleen Registered Member

I find that JFK and the CIA screwed up horribly there. What does everyone else think.

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

JFK and the CIA?

Kennedy moved the landing site and cancelled the air strikes over the objections of the CIA.

How do you support your argument that both screwed up? Unless you're saying that the invasion in general was a really really bad idea, which it was.

3. posleen

Sorry i posted a typo.

4. Van

Van Heavy Weapons Guy V.I.P.

Kennedy did the right thing in not allowing the air strikes. They would have led the US directly into an unnecessary war. The ground forces(not our) had been ripped apart and Kennedy, in his wisdom, did not want to commit actual US force unless the invasion had actually been successful.

Obviously the battle was a sad excuse for a invasion.

5. posleen

Did kennedy basically start the invasion and insured it would be lost. And did that not make the ruskis worry and in that worried state put missiles in cuba.

6. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

It was just one in a long series of terrible ideas by the CIA and the US government when it comes to overthrowing Castro. We can overthrow the government of Iran and institute the Shah who ruled for decades, but we can't coup a banana republic ninety miles from Key West?

7. posleen

Hey if the CIA had gotten full control Cuba would be a democracy.

8. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

The Shah was implemented by the CIA and he was a tyrant. The US-aligned Batista regime in Cuba also was a dictatorship.

9. Hi_Im_Tim

Hi_Im_Tim I am Heavy Weapons Guy

I think that the invasion was a really bad idea but Kennedy definitely shouldn't have cut off the air strikes because the Cubans had no chance then. Or he should have told them that he wasn't going to do the air strikes. I would be pretty mad if I was one of the Cubans who died because Kennedy cut off the air strikes.

10. Van

Van Heavy Weapons Guy V.I.P.

No, Kenedy had every reason to cut off the air support. The invasion was obviously not intended to fail. When it appeared that they were getting destroyed on the ground, Kennedy decided that since the US would have to have been directly involved on the ground, as well as in the air if he didn't abandon it, he would save the war. The cubans had no chance to win the war on the ground even WITH the airstrikes.