• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Battlefield 3 vs. Skyrim

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Two of the most hyped games of 2011 are easily Battlefield 3 and Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Which are you more excited for and why? Which do you think will be the bigger seller during the upcoming holiday season?

I'm more excited for Skyrim personally. I haven't really played any games for the past 5 years but I'm thinking of getting back into it a bit with Skyrim. I used to be a HUGE Battlefield fan (Battlefield 2 and 2142) so I might check out BF3 as well. As a casual gamer I'm more interested in playing games to relax though, and I feel Skyrim will be easier to play casually than BF3, especially with all the side missions and things you can do to just mess around.

From what I can tell it will be the Grand Theft Auto 5 of the fantasy genre in terms of exploration and "sandbox" feel.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Two of the most hyped games of 2011 are easily Battlefield 3 and Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Which are you more excited for and why? Which do you think will be the bigger seller during the upcoming holiday season?

I'm more excited for Skyrim personally. I haven't really played any games for the past 5 years but I'm thinking of getting back into it a bit with Skyrim. I used to be a HUGE Battlefield fan (Battlefield 2 and 2142) so I might check out BF3 as well. As a casual gamer I'm more interested in playing games to relax though, and I feel Skyrim will be easier to play casually than BF3, especially with all the side missions and things you can do to just mess around.

From what I can tell it will be the Grand Theft Auto 5 of the fantasy genre in terms of exploration and "sandbox" feel.

Skyrim doesn't have to compete with BF3, since they are two different types of games. Most people will get both if they're into gaming. Also, Modern Warfare 3 is coming out in november as well, so that'll be in the mix. BF3 and MW3 are going to be competing hardcore lol. Skyrim is one of those games everyone gets cause it'll be cool.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
MW3 isn't as big of a deal though because the Call of Duty games have come out every year or so. Skyrim and BF3 are sequels to games that haven't had new releases in 5+ years.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
The Elder Scrolls games have always been about exploration and crazy sandbox hijinks, so saying this latest one will be as well is like saying "The pope wears a hat".

Also, I don't see why the two games have to be in direct competition. One caters to the shooter crowd, the other to the Western RPG crowd; two completely different audiences. It'd be far more apt to put Modern Warfare 3 up against Battlefield 3 because, regardless of how long it's been since BF and ES have had a release, it's MW3 and BF3 that'll split the shooter community up.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
MW3 isn't as big of a deal though because the Call of Duty games have come out every year or so. Skyrim and BF3 are sequels to games that haven't had new releases in 5+ years.
Sure but Mw3 is the more popular version. Treyarch made world at war, and black ops, and they pale in comparison to the modern warefare branch, made by infinity ward. So technically its been like 2 years since a modern warefare game came out.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
In fact, it's going to be even more interesting to see how MW3 turns out, considering that Infinity Ward has had to replace about half of its staff. West and Zampella left, and after that, about half of the employees left over jumped ship. This may make a difference in terms of how good the latest MW game compares to previous ones.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
So Battlefield 3 isnt part of the Bad Company series?

I just ask because B:BC 2 just recently came out. In fact its sitting on my floor in front of my PS3 (borrowed it from my brother)... and I just thought that BF:3 was the 3rd on in that series.

I mean DICE really didnt get creative on splitting their icon;

vs

One thing is for certain... I remember watching my cousins brother in law play Battlefield: 1942 on his computer back in the early 00's and I was just awestruck and pure jealous that I couldnt play a game that bad ass on my computer. Now I have more than enough power in my rig to push this kind of game.... I may just give it a try just for the sake of having it.

Not really all that interested in the Multi-player aspect... but the Single Player could be really fun.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
As far as I know the BC series ran on the BF2 engine. BF3 will boast a brand new engine exclusive to this game (so far). Also, wasn't BC just for console? Or at least for a good while? I don't remember it being on PC but I could be wrong.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
As far as I know the BC series ran on the BF2 engine. BF3 will boast a brand new engine exclusive to this game (so far). Also, wasn't BC just for console? Or at least for a good while? I don't remember it being on PC but I could be wrong.
I think anymore, theres no such thing as a consoles Exclusive. If its wide release they include a PC version.

Unfortunately I never really read much up on the Engines they use. I see the Battlefield website is boasting BF3 is using the "frostbite 2".... but that really doesnt mean much to me, still kinda new to the PC part of the gaming world :hah:

I was just looking for what the System Requirements or Recommendations would be. Which are;

Minimum requirements for Battlefield 3

Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or Althon X2 2.7 GHz
RAM: 2GB
Graphic card: DirectX 10 or 11 compatible Nvidia or AMD ATI card, ATI Radeon 3870 or higher, Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT or higher.
Graphics card memory: 512 MB
Sound card: DirectX compatibl sound card
Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

Recommended system requirements for Battlefield 3

Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
RAM: 4GB
Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950.
Graphics card memory: 1 GB
Sound card: DirectX compatibl sound card
Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version
So I should have no problem at home. I'm pushing a 1gb ATI Radeon 6770 with an AMD Athlon ii 635 Quad Core Processor.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
There is no way to compare these two, and the hype for BF3 is mainly from the hardcore shooter fans that think MW3 is for little kids.

Skyrim, on the other hand, has every gamer over the age of 16 excited for sure. It looks amazing, will have a good story, and will have an engaging universe.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Merc Video Games 1
SmilinSilhouette Politics & Law 10
PretzelCorps Video Games 2
generalblue Video Games 21
Mirage Video Games 29