• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PC Games Battlefield 2142, One word, AWESOME!

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Does anybody else play Battlefield 2142? I was a huge fan of Battlefield 2, and 2142 is basically the same gameplay with futuristic weapons, ability mods, and vehicles.

It is by far the best multiplayer shooter available today. If you have a nice graphics card it's also a really nice "eye candy" experience.

I'm a huge Counter-Strike fan, and use to waste hours a day on that game. Since playing the BF2 generation Battlefield games I've found it very hard to go back to Counter-Strike. It's just not as fun. There is something about a nice 64 player size map that does it for me..

So, who else plays BF2142?

TaskForceTiny

Yeah I play it to death too, and thinks it's an excellent game.
Have to disagree on the graphics though.

While they are certainly not shizbut, I don't think that they've used detailed enough textures on the environment - I hate 2D grass as well. Lighting was good - for that engine, but shadows - I dunno.

But graphics by no means make a game, the game is great, just not as 'great' as what I thought it could have been.

Maybe if they waited before releasing the game (instead of 1 year after BF2) they may have considered using a different engine like unreal 3?

While I believe the game makes a superior an second-to-none expansion/mod, I will never recognise it as a standalone game.

I also know that alot of people will disagree with my view of the game, but as soon as Unreal 3 is released, I'll be there to scoop their jaws up off the floor.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah, I have BF2 as well and LOVE it, but while I do admin that BF2142 feels similar enough to be called an expansion, I recognize the extra work that has gone into it and I am fine paying the price of a new game.

I bought it because I heard it was fun (and yes, it RULES) not because it was a "new game" or an "expansion." I don't care what they want to call it. As long as it is fun. :)

And 2D textures don't bother me that much. I must not spend as much time camping as you do! :D

TaskForceTiny

:lol: You know, the funny thing is, that is probably true!

I love the recon kit, and it was the first kit I completely unlocked.
I suppose that yeah, I love to sit on top of a hill, out of the enemy's vision
and take pot shots, watching them run around like headless chooks :D
Or alternatively posing as a friendly at their main base, then knifing everyone! hehehe

When I'm sitting alone in a clog of scrub or on a tower or hill - I get a lil lonely :( . So I start lookin at things, and I guess that me noticing the 2D textures may have been a lil over the top.
I still get annoyed when they get in the way of my cross-hairs! :mad:

Something that has been annoying me lately in game though are the kick vote starters. I've seen dudes nominated to be kicked - for no reason what so ever. I mean, seriously, if a guy isn't stuffing the game up for the rest of us, I couldn't really care what he does! Personal vendetta's suck.

Another annoying thing is when friendlies jump in the way of your CLEARLY MARKED claymore. Then they punish you for killing them. My god, that has happened alot. I've even said "guys, do not walk into claymore / red skull & crossbone area". But no, they just feel the need to go and die! Morons.

Ah well, it's become stereo typical of me to have a whinge here, so that's it 4 this one. Promise!

TaskForceTiny

I couldn't help myself :D

Someone has to tell those darn commanders to stop moving the titans so close together. No matter how many times you tell them that 'close titans = uber amounts of lag', they normally turn around and give u a noob reply like "I'll do what I want, so nick off, but how do u send team messages again?"

Hahaha.

Battlefield also causes severe marital problems. Anyone else goin thru the same? I don't really see that as a fault in the game :cool:

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Actually I prefer it when the titons are moved near eachother. That way boarding the enemy ship is just a matter of escape podding yourself directly towards it. :)

I don't notice much lag when they are close but I haven't played many 64 player games yet.

As for camping, I'll probably be doing a lot more of that in the near future. I plan to get the recon kit myself and that really nice sniper rifle. :D

TaskForceTiny

Ah mate, camping is the bomb.

I've found all these areas where u can't be seen by the average player
and taking shots that would have to be close to 6 or 700 yards out.
That 'special' rifle kicks butt.

Can't remember the name of the map, but it's the one with the massive circular building in the middle, guys who camp around the flag at #1 are now unable to do it due to guys like me who camp and shoot them :D

I think alot of people frown upon campers, but I think it's becoming more of
an art trying your hardest not to be seen. It's great when another sniper does spot you though, because it turns into a game of cat and mouse or stalker :nod: I had this one game where I spent the entire round in a quiet corner with a guy called silent_hunter (or sumthing), and it was great.
There was no running in and going nuts with an automatic weapon, and taking him out really felt like a big accomplishment each time ;)

Anyways, my online name is (suprise) 'taskforcetiny' so chuck me on your friends list, and i'll have a game with ya sumtime andy ;)

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Cool, definitely will do that. I'm "HybriXmaZ" on there if you want to + me as well. I've been busy with non-gaming stuff lately but I'll be trying to get back on soon so I'll look you up.

Do you know of anyone else who's interested in renting a server together? I run a nice dedicated for all of my sites and am looking to add another soon for a Ranked BF2142 server. Let me know if you're interested. I figure I'd need around 20 people at $10 a month and get a nice $200-$300 per month 64 player ranked box. :D

drshaka

I love BF2142!!! I usually get on every night and kill people. I am a member of the: NOLA squad (if you have ever seen any of us). My name up there is: NOLA Awesome_XX if anyone wants to see me up there.
I like the conquest modes with the big maps better. I really don't like the titan boards. I will look for people up there.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Merc Video Games 1
SmilinSilhouette Politics & Law 10
PretzelCorps Video Games 2
K Video Games 3
D Video Games 14