• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Battle of the Bands - Semi Finals

Who do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Impact

V.I.P.
These 4 bands made it through to the semi-final stages. Choose who you prefer to go through to our final.

The Beatles vs. Led Zeppelin

System of a Down vs The Rolling Stones

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Led Zeppelin hands down.

Rolling Stones hands down.

Should make for an interesting final.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Beatles and System of a Down...

Definitely not tough choices for me.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
Led Zeppelin FTW! Stones take second.

qweerblue

Registered Member
This has been a lot of fun, Impact! Thanks for all your work in making it happen :)

I went with Zep and the Stones, by the way, and am anxious to see how things sort out as more folks vote...

There are probably very few bands that I would vote for above Zep and the Stones, and The Beatles and SOAD are not them. The thing about The Beatles for me is that I was almost tired of them before I ever heard what I think are some of their greatest tracks. Growing up, it was all about "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and "Can't Buy Me Love" and that more pop-y stuff that just doesn't really do it for me. Then, when I was about 15, sitting in my friend's basement smoking weed and jamming, he put on a mix he'd made of The Beatles, and I heard songs like "Happiness is a Warm Gun", "Because", "I Want You (She's so Heavy)", "Come Together", "In My Life", "Dear Prudence", "Blackbird", "Wild Honey Pie", "Eleanore Rigby", "A Day in the Life", and the medley from Abbey Road: "You Never Give Me Your Money", "Sun King", "Mean Mr. Mustard", "Polythene Pam", "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window", "Golden Slumbers", "Carry That Weight", and "The End"...

Anyway. My opinion changed then, but I still never went all hog-wild for them, but I certainly started listening to them more.

Zep is just ... I don't know, in my blood or bones or something. From the very first song I ever heard from them, which was "What is and What Should Never Be", played by my mournful babysitter as she wept over some boy while I, at four- or five-years old, sat, rapt, listening with her, over and over, to just today, when "Ten Years Gone" popped up on my iTunes and I rocked out, they have been with me almost since my very beginning.

The Stones ... Well, I think Di could talk way more eloquently about the Stones than I could, but I fucking love them. In fact, right after "Ten Years Gone" came on, "Let's Spend the Night Together" played, and I was overjoyed. It made me want to hear more, so I just got done listening to "Gimme Shelter", "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" (which is Di's ring tone when she calls me :D, "Miss You", "Under My Thumb", "Beast of Burden", "Shattered", and "Fool to Cry". And then I logged onto GF and saw this thread and ... Hurray!

As far as SOAD. I *want* to like them, I really do. I just can't. It kills my girlfriend, who loves them, but I just can't get on board. I don't know why.

Rather random question--am I crazy to think The Doors did not get nominated for this competition? Am I forgetting something?

Impact

V.I.P.
No, I don't think The Doors made it through. I don't think they were even on people's nomination lists from memory. I can go through and check if you're bothered about it? I have to go through and do the official rankings soon anyway, so no hassle.

And I voted for Led Zeppeling and SOAD.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
System of a Down makes my ears bleed.
You and me both, I never understood the fascination with them at all.

I'm disappointed I didn't nominate any bands, I don't know what I was thinking. There are a few I should have nominated.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
The fact System of a Down makes your ears bleed is the reason they are so damn awesome haha

I don't have a bucket list per say but seeing them live would be on that so I can leave half deaf after their concert.