• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Battle for your Rental $Dollar$

SamusAran86

Registered Member
I just read a News Story that says Blockbuster is trying a hostile takeover of Hollywood Video!!

another thing I didnt know is that Movie Gallery (a fairly newer rental place in Arizona) already had takeover plans of the same nature.

Movie Gallery bid was 13.25 cents per share, and had already won antitrust approvement

But the FTC is asking Blockbuster for more information, after they put in a hostile bid of 14.50 cents per share

Blockbuster was blocked from takeing over Hollywood a few years back, loseing because antitrust hearings said they would become too powerful...

But blockbuster thinks they can now win antitrust approval because of things like "netflix" and cheap DVD at retail....

funniest thing about this... current stock prices for all 3 companies

Blockbuster: $8.67 and keeps going down

Hollywood: $14.06 keeps going up

Movie Gallery: $23.46 keeps going up

I personally do not like blockbuster. especially with there new "No Late Fee's" policy... sure you get to keep the movie as long as you want, but you will still be charged if you do not return the movie by the 7th day... something else there will be a suit over in the near future, as blockbuster doesnt inform customers of this regulation, you have to read it in the materials they provide

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
A-HA!!!! I knew it! Didn't I know it?! I called it! Didn't I call it?!

http://forums.gamecomplex.com/showthread.php?t=3250

00vega said:
I know that I may be a little late on this one, but does anybody here know what's up with Blockbuster? They're doing this new thing like "no late fees" or something, and at first I thought it was a joke, but it seems that it's actually serious. My question is, if blockbuster isn't charging late fees, then how do they still stay in business? How the hell would they get their stuff back on time, or EVER for that matter? And if they let people keep stuff as long as they want, then wouldn't that disadvantage the people who want to borrow the same movies and games and stuff next? Isn't that the whole reason why that rule exists, to make sure that everyone gets an equal opportunity to borrow their desired items?

Really, I can't imagine how such a system would work, or why they would be doing it for that matter. I hope to God that they're not doing this just to out-compete their competitor rental stores. That would so suck if they were diminishing the quality of their service just to have an edge on the other places. Makes me woozy just thinking of the possibility.