Basketball Help

Discussion in 'NBA' started by andrew_bishop, Mar 20, 2007.

1. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

Okay so here's the thing , We have a big tournament comming up the weekend and if we don't get some wins we might not get a chance to go to provincials. Now our problem is we have a lack of scoring. Now we've been doing a basic offenceive play in practice for the last few weeks but I think and the rest of my line agree's we seem to score more when I drive to the basket. We had a set of games a few weeks ago and I got 36 points through 3 games which is high for u15 ball in my town. Now if the coach sees me driving I might get some rep for the senior team next year or I might get benched but the play we do hardly works on my line so my question is what do you think I should do?

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

You should tak to your coach about this situation. You should tell him that you talked to your teamates about the lack of scoring and they agree with you that you should drive to the net more, and you feel that everytime you drive you'll score. Ask the coach if he could run more plays for you because you want to take leadership role of your team, and carry team on your back by helping with your teams scoring woes.

3. andrew_bishop

The only thing wrong with that see is the talent that we do have on the line that's just not been reached. A lot of our guys can average 20 points per game in a tournament but in the end might only get a few. Were inconsistant and I don't feel best taking an offence role on the line as the number one guy. I do miss some layups now and again and I can't let the team down this tournament. But I think that so far it seems best if I would drive and take a role because I know I can do it and I want to prove that I do have some skill. Not a lot now but some to keep the team going some what till the powerline goes out there.

4. Babe_Ruth

Then your the one who as a decision to make. If you want to run the show you got to have confidence in your abilities. Because if you don't things won't go your way. And if you feel that when you drive and you can't score then drive and kick it out to the open man, because the defence will try to stuff the lane so one of your teamates will be open for a shot. There's many way you can become the vocal point of the offense and it's not always by scoring the basket, passing is a dangerous weapon. Look at Steve Nash.

5. andrew_bishop

Yeah thats true. Well we have a tough game Friday evening so I'll see about it then and depending on how it goes I'll either change my game to suit the play more or keep it the way I usually do if I drop 12 or more. I'll know by Saturday lol.

6. patkick

patkick #21

Just be a ballhog if your teammates can't score effiently. Certain players have certain roles. You'll always need a go-to-guy and it might as well be you.

7. andrew_bishop

Well I don't plan on hogging the ball but whenever I get an open spot im driving in thats for sure. Now if I see an open man on the wing when I drive then I'll dish it back out for sure. There's noway im gonna score 1-3 so might as well dish it off. We got a great point guard but he gets more assists than points and one player is really coming along good this year so maybe he'll take some responsibilty and we got one solid player so maybe he can step up. We'll see.

8. Mix it up bro. Shoot, drive, dish. Let the game come to you, and base your offensive performance on how your team is doing. If your team is struggling on offense force the isue, and try to get them on the boards, but do it conservatively. Don't go chucking up shots lol.

9. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

You could be a Tony Parker or a Devin Harris. :D

Parker: You can blow by those bitches any day. Go for the layup!

Harris: Drive and make the score if you can. If not, then you can pass it out to (hopefully) an open player. Score the occasional jumpshot if you're confident and open.

Your team could take time to practice jump shots and layups to make offense run more successfully.

10. Babe_Ruth

Very good advice people. We should all become coaches lol. Anywho back on track. You don't need be a ballhog, but sometimes you can be selfish. You seem to be a smart player so I wouldn't picture you forcing a play when it's not there. You got to go with what the defence gives you. If you hit a few jump shots at the beggining of the game they'll back off you and let you drive instead. So you start doing that, and when they play you for the drive then you dish the ball to an open teamate. Let the game come to you.