• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Based On Thread In Other Discussions

ILuvChuzzles31

Registered Member
Well I started a thread called Incredible Story.. Hate to the Limit in Other discussions..

Obama then in this article says about we as Americans should not have to be afraid
to stand up and fight against religious violence?

My question is just how does he expect us to do this?
He has security with him wherever he goes.. American people do not.

American people don't have weapons and may not use them if they did.
Americans don't know when and where such a thing may happen so how do you stand up against this?

I would not go to church with the idea that someone else will show up and attack the people in the church. Church is for praying and learning more in your belief it has nothing to do with violence.

So tell me what does Obama have in mind when he says we should stand aginst this?
Take away his security and then tell me what will he stand up against?

Obama: Americans Must Stand United Against Religious Violence - NBC News

Your thoughts on this?

Sim

Registered Member
My guess is that he doesn't mean we should literally pick up weapons and fight.

Religious violence usually comes out of an environment where religious people are radical and support violent acts with their words, or at least do nothing to speak against those who do, so that those who finally commit acts of violence feel they're acting "in the name" of their religious community.

That's what we should stand up against: When we, as religious people, learn of fellows in our religious communities who support violence or speak out in favor of violence, we should not tolerate that but speak up against them. "That's not what our religion teaches" and "not in my name!". So they should realize their plans for violence are *not* in the name of their communities.

So: If you're Muslim, speak up against people at your mosque who hold grandstanding speeches about how evil the West is and how nice it would be to kill Jews.

If you're Christian, and there is this guy at your church who keeps ranting how much abortion doctors deserve to die, or that someone should show these homosexuals who the boss is -- don't let him talk. Speak up against him: "That is not what Jesus teaches!"

Violent extremists, no matter if political or religious, hardly ever become radical out of the blue. Usually, they take their decision for violent crimes in an environment that speaks radically -- and those who disagree stay silent, be it out of a false sense of loyalty, or because of fear. So the perpetrators think they act in the name of the "silent majority" -- they believe they simply do what everybody else thinks. We should contribute to make them think again.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to agree with everything Sim said you shouldn't remain silent when someone in your church or mosque is speaking against Jews, gays or what have you. I think this is what Obama is talking about not literally picking up weapons and fighting them.

However in some parts of the world you could be put to death or imprisoned for speaking up. I can't blame those people for being silent but if they don't speak up nothing will ever change and the radicals will remain in charge.

I doubt this man though was a member of any church or if he was got their approval, sounds like he hated Jews and decided to act on it.

Taliesin

Registered Member
Hate will always find a reason - any reason - to lash out. It's not rational. It's certainly not loving or inclusive. And anyone filled with such hate does need to be called on it.

Take Westboro Baptist Church as an example. It's a shame - though hardly surprising - that no one there ever spoke out against Fred Phelps (well, not until after they left the group anyway). I had the dubious pleasure of watching footage of one of his "sermons" once. Never again. It was a hate filled diatribe and nothing more, and I do wonder if these people would eventually resort to violence if their usual bullying tactics were ever curtailed by the law in some way.

As for what Obama means, I would have to agree with Sim's and Hi's assessment. I don't think he means this literally, but figuratively, and looked at in that light, he makes total sense.

Last edited: