Baseball pushing to test for HGH by '08

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Commissioner Bud Selig and other Major League Baseball officials hope to utilize a blood test next season that could catch players using human growth hormone.

"We're cautiously optimistic," Gary Green, a UCLA doctor and consultant for MLB, told USA Today. "Talking to the commissioner, if the test becomes widely available, he certainly would be in favor of getting that implemented."

The test was used on a limited basis in the Olympics beginning in 2004 and will be available for broader use within months, said Olivier Rabin, director of science of the World Anti-Doping Agency. "This is great news," he told the newspaper, "because we strongly believe that human growth hormone is abused in sports." Use of the blood test would have to be approve by the MLB players union.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7220924

2. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

It's a step in the right direction at least. It is very hard to test for this kind of thing but hopefully they are able to even better clean up the game.

3. CMK_Eagle

CMK_Eagle Registered Member

Let's just hope it doesn't take another threat by Congress to get the union to agree to testing.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I am really hoping they agree to do this, because if they do then you'll know who are the players that have the talent, and the players who need some muscle enhancement drugs to hit the ball 20-30 feet further. But in my personal opinion I don't believe the union is going to agree to this.

5. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

This is just another attempt by Bud Selig to save his rear end. He's just saying the right things so the media and Dick Pound gets off his back. But if I'm wrong about this statement then I really like this idea. Will it get anywhere? Probably not because MLB Baseball union is quite strong so like everyone else has said I really don't see them agreeing to this.

I was watching a program the other day and they were talking about this situation. And this guy mentioned that they should lock baseball up until they get a permannent HGH Testing system year in year out. Do you guys agree with that following statement?