Baseball getting better?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Doc, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I used to be a huge baseball fan. I even stood by during the strike that caused a sipped World Series. In the late 90's and early 2000's, though, I've had huge problems with baseball's lack of a salary cap and steroids. It seems as if they're cracking down on steroids, which is good. They're also going to add replay soon.

If they added a salary cap I'd be perfectly satisfied with the game. Opinions?

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

It seems to be getting better with cracking down on steroids, and I agree, I'd like to see a salary cap. But honestly, it's still the same game, which I find boring.

3. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

I really don't like the idea of a salary cap. It really hurts farm systems. With salary caps you're going to see a lot of players paid close to the same amount, meaning you're not going to see the need for teams to go down into the farm system as much. They'll be able to afford all the players they want, because each team will be able to get a set number of all-stars. Also, I kinda like the lack of salary cap, it really gives you under dogs you can actually root for. Call me crazy I'm a Kansas City Roayls fan and I don't want the salary cap, thats almost blasphemous, but really there isn't this huge seperation of players in the majors. Yeah you may have like 1% that outperform the rest easily, but for the most part it's a pretty even playing field.

Plus I think a lot of teams are going back to atleast incorperating a little small ball, which I like. Stolen bases is becoming an important statistic again, so is triples. Which I never thought would happen. With the stigma of steroids the long ball has lost some, but not all of it's magic.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  4. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Baseball must be getting better in some way shape or form because they are getting record attendance figures.

I still think a cap is needed to stop the spending of the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels etc. You won't see ridcocklous contracts like A-Rod has and things will be a little more even.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I've been a fan since 1993, so I've been through the strikes, I've always had passion for the game. I think the MLB as done a great job on the steroids issue in the last few seasons.

But I don't think they should bring in a salary cap, it's only going to ruin the game in so many ways. I know it's ridiculous how much the Yanks and Bo Sox and some other teams spend on players, but they have the money why not use it.

6. Millz

Care to explain how it'll ruin the game? Hasn't ruined the NHL or the NFL yet.

7. padd

padd Registered Member

And the Expos would have won that World Series.

I think he means it'll ruin the Big Markets such as New York and Los Angelos.

8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Well maybe ruin the game was a bad choice of words, but like Sui mentioned it's going to ruin the farm system, the teams won't give the same chances to the farm players like they do today.

Also, I don't think the Major Leagues need one, a lot of people argument is that if they make a salary cap then everyone will be on the same even playing field. But take the 1997, 2003 Marlins they have one of the lowest budgets and they won the World Series, then you have the A's of the early 2000's, they just dominated the West, then you have the Twins who's been dominating the Central for several years now.

So if you have a good team and players, you don't need to have lots of money to win.

9. Millz

I understand the point you made that you dont always need money to win a World Series but that 1997 Florida Marlins team you mentioned pretty much bought a championship that year. Names off the top of my head include: Devon White, Bobby Bonilla, Moises Alou, Jim Eisenreich, Darren Daulton, Alex Fernandez etc. They had some pieces there already with Renteria, Conine, Sheffield and Kevin Brown but during that time frame they spent the most money and won the title as a result.

And sure the A's and Twins have done pretty well the past 10 years or so but what do they have to show for it? Nothing. Let's look at some past champions:

2007: Boston Red Sox...nuff said
    2006: St Louis Cardinals...above average market
    2005: Chicago White Sox...big market
    2004: Boston Red Sox...again, enough said
    2003: Florida Marlins...this team blew up after they won
    2002: Anaheim Angels...big market
    2001: Arizona Diamondbacks...not a big market but spent a ton of money to win that year
    2000, 1999, 1998: New York Yankees: Ummm, yeah.
    1997: Florida Marlins: Spent a ton of money to win
    1996: New York Yankees: Riiiiight

Point is I dont see it. Yes, Tampa Bay and others are finally improving but what happens when those players become eligible for free agency? They bolt to LA, Chicago, Boston or New York.

10. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I won't be satisfied until the Mariners and Braves make it back to the playoffs... :lol:

I disagree. A salary cap would make all contracts be closer to each other, but they'll still be quite different. And I think it would make farm players MORE valuable, because if you can save cap room by having cheap farm players, you can spend more on the established stars.

And there will always be underdogs, even with a salary cap. Any team that loses a lot becomes the underdog. Or any team that all the analysts agree is worse.

I'm not saying I want a salary cap - I'm undecided. But really, I'm fairly sure the MLBPA will prevent it from ever happening anyhow.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008