• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Barry Bonds

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
What are your thoughts Barry Bonds, the player. Do you consider him a cheater? The greatest home run hitter of all-time? Best player to ever play this game? Thoughts?

Sabby

He did cheat, just like 90% of HR hitters did in that era. However of all the cheaters he was the best and the numbers show it. Saddest part is that pre steroids, he was a solid, speedy 40-40 guy. If he had stayed clean, I don't think he passes Hank Aaron, but he still would have put up some great numbers.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Well first off give the record back to Hank Aaron. That man deserves it after everything he went through with hate towards beating Ruth HR record and racism being a huge thing back then. Secondly, Bonds should never be spoken about ever again. He had a great career without steroid use, but got greedy.

Sabby

Dickey's Flow said:
Well first off give the record back to Hank Aaron. That man deserves it after everything he went through with hate towards beating Ruth HR record and racism being a huge thing back then. Secondly, Bonds should never be spoken about ever again. He had a great career without steroid use, but got greedy.

Touchy touchy :p

Sabby

Next topic...why??? :twisted: Because this one is stupid ;)

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I have mixed emotions on Bonds. He was probably my favorite non-Blue Jay growing up. I even had one of those little kid uniform costumes of his as a kid (you know, the ones that came with a helmet, jersey, and pants). While he didn't do it cleanly, and I want to hold that against him, he didn't do anything that mostly everyone else wasn't already doing. I'm not saying it's okay to cheat, but when you're doing it to keep pace with everyone else who's doing it, you start to enter a grey area of sorts in my opinion. (I'd never cheat on an exam at school, but if everyone else was doing it and I knew the professor was going to grade on a curve, I'd definitely have to give it serious thought to ensure that my GPA wasn't going to suffer as a result).

All in all, I view 755 home runs as the career record and 61 as the single season record. The other two have asterisks next to them for me. I think that had he stayed healthy, Ken Griffey, Jr. would be the home run king right now. Also, I think Frank Thomas never used steroids. At least if he did, he didn't do them to the extent that other guys were doing them.

DrMiraculous

Barry? Heres my feelings.

A hall of famer should be able to throw Sid Bream out at the plate. Steroids or not, Bonds was never as great as the media played him to be.

he could hit a little, he cheated alot, and fought with Jeff Kent and Jim Leyland when he should have been leading his team. There are alot of words to describe Barry, but "Champion" "Cheerful" and "Hall of Famer" will never be among them.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
Bonds had plenty of ability and would've been a Hall of Famer before the roids, but those and his attitude towards the media for years and years blacklisted him among the baseball faithful. He didn't earn the records he ended up getting, especially the home run record.

arock1234

Registered Member
Barry Bonds the best. He isn't the best player ever but he is certainly the greatest homerun hitter ever. There are countless players in the HOF right now that used PED's, but there just wasn't the testing there is today. Even Hank Aaron has links to PED's but nobody wants to talk about that.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/ ... operstown/

At the end of the day, steroids are a part of baseball. It's getting better, but we aren't there yet. To disallow the greatest players of the "steroid era" from the HOF is just silly.