Barefoot Running- what do y'all think?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by RedRunner, Jun 2, 2010.

1. RedRunner

RedRunner New Member

Curious if any runners out there have tried the Nike Frees, the Vibrams or even barefoot running?
    There was a very interesting article in the recent Nature magazine highlighting a lot of research that a Harvard professor has been conducting about barefoot running. He seems to not only believe but prove via his analysis that barefoot is the way to go.

any thoughts?

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I've always been curious to try the Vibram Five Fingers. I've heard about other people using them for hiking, but I can't imagine they provide enough support.

[​IMG]

3. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

I have a pair of the vibrams (my daughter calls them foot gloves lol), but I'm no runner. I have flat feet and the salesman told me he did too until he started running in those shoes. That was enough for me to give them a try. I like them as I wade in rocky rivers to fish and they have great "feel" and don't slide around or get rocks in them like keen sandals. The do make my feet tired. I would bet because I'm using muscles in my feet that are usually supported. I think there might be something to it.

4. jack3456

jack3456 Registered Member

About the barefoot thing, I remember reading some years ago that walking on grass first thing in the morning barefoot had health benefits. Apparently it has something to do with atmospheric electricity being absorbed overnight by the ground, giving it an excess of antoxidant electrons. Sounds fascinating, now that I think of it I must try it on my lawn the next few mornings.