Banning texting while driving

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
. . . is a stupid, pointless idea.

Senate Pushes Bill to Ban Texting While Driving - texting while driving - Gizmodo

To me, this is like seatbelt laws. There's no real way to enforce it and in this case, people are just going to end up getting tickets for having a phone in the car. This is something people need to learn, if they're going to be retarded and text while driving two tons of steel at 70 miles per hour, they deserve what happens to them.

Shouldn't they be paying more attention to that healthcare bill?

Anyway, anything that can be solved by an act of common sense really doesn't require a law to regulate it.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I as well think it's a stupid idea, but researchers have said that it's more dangerous to drive and text at the same time then drinking and driving.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I as well think it's a stupid idea, but researchers have said that it's more dangerous to drive and text at the same time then drinking and driving.
It's also dangerous to knit while driving but that's no reason to ban it, either :lol:

People need to be held responsible for their own stupidity.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
To me, this is like seatbelt laws. There's no real way to enforce it and in this case, people are just going to end up getting tickets for having a phone in the car. This is something people need to learn, if they're going to be retarded and text while driving two tons of steel at 70 miles per hour, they deserve what happens to them.
Doesn't it endanger other people's lives as well and not just their own? Just like driving under the influence. People should definitely not be texting while driving, but I agree it seems like a silly law with no way to enforce it.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Doesn't it endanger other people's lives as well and not just their own? Just like driving under the influence. People should definitely not be texting while driving, but I agree it seems like a silly law with no way to enforce it.
Obviously other peoples' lives are at risk here, but banning it will not do anything to stop it. Yeah, you may drop the rates by a percentage point or two but most people who don't wear their seatbelts are not going to change their habits over a $20 ticket.

There really is no way to enforce it. Not to mention, if you get in an accident and you're drinking/weren't wearing a seatbelt, you get reamed big time in terms of responsibility and bills. Penalties are already in place for not wearing seatbelts, I don't see why a law is necessary.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Well I don't really understand the seatbelt law since that's something that only puts yourself in danger. They say they do it to save lives, but I'm sure the only reason for it is extra money from fines. Like you said, someone who doesn't wear a seatbelt isn't going to change just because of a $20 ticket, so no lives are being saved. Pointless law.

DLFerguson

Registered Member
Obviously other peoples' lives are at risk here, but banning it will not do anything to stop it. Yeah, you may drop the rates by a percentage point or two but most people who don't wear their seatbelts are not going to change their habits over a $20 ticket.
$20 dollar ticket? Where do you live? My wife got a $125 ticket for not wearing her seatbelt here in Brooklyn, NY. There are checkpoints here where you're pulled over to see if you're wearing your seatbelt, if you've been drinking and if you're talking/texting on your cellphone. You'll get a ticket just for holding your cellphone.

And unless you're a doctor I honestly don't understand the reason why you should be texting/talking on the phone while driving.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
It should definitely be banned. It's been banned in a lot of bigger cities. It's completely unsafe, no question about it.

Additionally, it would be pretty easy to track. Text messages go through your cell provider's central server. GPS can already show where you are at all times based on where your cell phone is.

Technically, if GPS puts you moving at car speeds and you are sending text messages at the time, it wouldn't be too hard to narrow down whether or not you were the driver or not. Some of the tracking necessary might still need to be tweaked but in principle, it would be pretty easy to catch people.

As for preventing it, they just need to make the penalty something along the lines of if you are caught texting and driving you'll lose both your license and your cell phone for 6 months. If you tried to buy a new cell phone plan the background check would come up saying that you are not allowed to own one. That would be threatening enough to make a lot of people think twice.

As for preventing it, they just need to make the penalty something along the lines of if you are caught texting and driving you'll lose both your license and your cell phone for 6 months.
I think the $20 fine is too low. If the littering fine is $1000 (at least here it is) then the text messaging or using your phone while driving should be $1500. If they are caught again then I suggest putting their license on suspension for a month. 6 months seems a tad overboard.

It would seem like common sense to NOT use your phone - or multitask - while you're driving. You'd think you would at least have the decency to pull over rather than risk the lives of the people on the road by your actions.