• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Banning fans from the game.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wasn't to sure what to call this thread, so I just went with this instead.

Anyway, most of you know that I hate the Senators, and that I live in Ottawa. One of the biggest reasons why I hate Ottawa is because of the fans. They know nothing about hockey.

Montreal played the Senators on Saturday night, and the game was in Ottawa. I'd say the ratio was about 70% Canadiens fans and 30% Senators fans. You barely heard any Go Sens Go chants, every time the Habs scored the place errupted, same thing when Price made a nice save.

The same thing happens when the Toronto Maple Leafs come to town, there's always more Leafs fans over Sens fans.

Now this is why I'm writing this thread. This guy on a Ottawa Sports Radio Station was pretty mad about the 70-30% ratio, and he came out and said that Ottawa should ban Montreal/Toronto fans from purchasing tickets when they come to town. I think that's total B.S, and a ridiculous idea that makes no sense. Why wouldn't other team fans be allowed to come an watch their team play against the Sens?

Another thing this douche said is this. He understands that there's a lot of older Leafs/Habs fans since the Senators only came to Ottawa in 1992, but he believes that if those fans have kids then they should be cheering for Ottawa and not the Leafs or Canadiens. Another stupid/idiotic/ridiculous idea.

Gawd, I hate 95% of Sens fans, analyst and broadcasters/announcers.

What are your thoughts?

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
Senator fans suck and so do the Sens. It's your building, don't be outcheered. Not your fault you can't support your team on the same level as Montreal or Toronto.

As for the younger generation of fans, it's up to the team to market to them and steer them away from Toronto and Montreal, although for the life of me, I can't figure out why you'd want to cheer for any three of those clubs ;)

(just kiddin' BR)

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
People can be fans of any team they want, and if things are balanced that way now that's just how it is...build the franchise if you want your fan-base to grow.

As far as your hatred of the fans, it's definitely better when a sports fan at a game has some knowledge, but people are just going to have some fun. You shouldn't have to go to a sports even with the requirement of proving your knowledge, lol.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I totally agree with you Unity, but the thing is that they believe they know everything about the sport. It wouldn't bother me if they kept their mouth shut and didn't say anything like the Senators are the best team in the NHL, or they're going to make it further than the Canadiens.

Just for an example, I worked with this older lady. The Senators made it all the way to the Stanley Cup finals against the Ducks. She kept saying stuff like Go Sens Go, they're going to win the cup, stuff like that.

Anyway one day someone brought in a small poster that said go Sens go, and it said Alfie on it. If your Sens fan then you should know that Alfie is Daniel Alfredsson nickname, well she sees the poster and she ask someone who Alfie was. I was like, are you serious.

Stuff like that annoys the crap out of me.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Saying you want to ban the fans of an opposing team to the arena is ludicrous. So would they rather not sell out the arena just to keep the Sens fans out of there? It's all about money, give me a break haha. I guess I look at this from a sports business perspective and that idea makes no sense at all.

I should put my Senators jersey on and take pics for you.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Now this is why I'm writing this thread. This guy on a Ottawa Sports Radio Station was pretty mad about the 70-30% ratio, and he came out and said that Ottawa should ban Montreal/Toronto fans from purchasing tickets when they come to town. I think that's total B.S, and a ridiculous idea that makes no sense. Why wouldn't other team fans be allowed to come an watch their team play against the Sens?
Besides the fact that he's wrong, and that it would be idiotic to do if they could (newsflash - losing 2/3 of your income is a surefire way to fail). Plus there's the fact that it's impossible to keep fans of another team out.

Although I can kind of understand the sentiment - it would be pretty discouraging to be a Senators fan and be heavily outnumbered in your home arena. Which might lead to an even bigger decrease in Senators fans there. Not to mention they're losing a good chunk of the home field advantage thing.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Although I can kind of understand the sentiment - it would be pretty discouraging to be a Senators fan and be heavily outnumbered in your home arena. Which might lead to an even bigger decrease in Senators fans there. Not to mention they're losing a good chunk of the home field advantage thing.
What does it matter, the Sens fans should make a better effort in grabbing the tickets early on. Like I mentioned before, the Senators only came into the NHL in 1992, so it's obvious that they'll be a lot more Habs/Leafs fans here in Ottawa. It's extremely hard to buy Habs tickets in Montreal and same thing for Leafs tickets in Toronto. This gives a chance for the Habs/Leafs fans to see their team in Ottawa.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth Baseball 8
sunrise Technology 4
Millz NBA 21
Babe_Ruth Politics & Law 4
Babe_Ruth Breaking News 3