Bandwidth Caps

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
So, I was reading this article and it was talking about how ISPs want to limit the bandwidth that users can have for a month and then charging for overages.. kind of like a cell phone. They blame it on P2P and a lack of a desire to want to upgrade.

I wish people would leave my internets alone.

Blueyes

Registered Member
I've been hearing it but luckily my service hasn't gotten into all of that yet but I'm on the high speed package, the next upgrade would be the gaming package.

They already have this in Belgium. Something like a max of 4 GB a month for some internet subscriptions. Which sucks because a youtube vid of 10 minutes is probably already like 50 MB. I'm glad that I don't have an internet subscription with capped bandwidth since I have three other sisters who watch youtube vids and download regularly.

Bananas

Endangered Species
It has always been capped in the UK.

Most ISPs offer a variety of options, the lowest usually start at around 5gb the highest being unlimited. If you go over your allotted amount they charge you, its not much though about £1 a GB depending on the provider.

I have unlimited usage but I'm still bound by a fair-use policy. If I abuse the unlimited usage they will start to throttle the line during peak hours (4-8pm). What counts as abuse I do not know as I have never exceeded it.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I could never, ever deal with throttling or caps. Sometimes I could download 10gigs worth of stuff in a week to watch the shows I like.