Ban gay marriage, ban divorce?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by ysabel, Nov 30, 2009.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Movement Under Way In California To Ban Divorce - Family News Story - KTVU San Francisco

I think this is an interesting point of view and wonder whether anyone here who are for banning gay marriage also share the view that divorce should be banned. Or if you're not for the gay marriage ban, do you think that states who ban gay marriage should ban divorce too?

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I don't see the connection between the two at all. Marriage is a legal contract enforceable by state law. Every contract can be broken, you can be sued over breaking it, but can be broken nontheless. Banning divorce, while catchy, makes no sense and any such consideration would be unconstitutional anyway.

3. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

It's a nice gesture, but I suspect it'll end up being pointless; it doesn't matter how many holes and contradictions you poke into people's irrational rationalizations, they're always unbelievably quick to just cook up new ones.

The "sanctity of traditional marriage" isn't what people truly care about at all; it's just the convenient argument of the day. Making it that much more obvious won't have the desired effect of changing the real attitude behind it.

I don't think it's something they ever actually intended to have pass.

I have to admit, though, I have a bit more respect for the people that leap on and go "yeah, yeah, banning divorce is a great idea!!" :lol:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Sadly it'll fall flat just like any other "statement" proposition like this.

But the funny thing is I really like the idea. I mean seriously, California has a disgustingly high divorce rate. I'd like to at least see some seriousness placed back into the concept of Marriage.

Teenagers getting married right out of High School only to get divorced a year or 2 deep in College. That kind of thing flustrates me, I recall a statistic about how only one out of three Teenage Marriages do not end up in Divorce.

But yeah, I like it though. Gives that whole feeling of "oh yeah... have your cake AND eat it then bitches!"

5. dafty807

dafty807 Registered Member

Divorce, like most things just happen, i dont think people get married thinking - its ok we will get divorced anyway. people who get married intend on spending the rest of their live together - but if complications arise which cause them to stop loving each other - then divorce gives them the option to start again!

so altho banning divorce may sound appealin to some people, its bascially not giving people the chance to be free, or happy.

just like banning gay marriage! if two people are in love and want to unite themselves for life because the are "that loved up" then why should it matter if they are the same sex or not??

6. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

I was driving to school one morning, and heard them talking about this on the radio. I absolutely support this. I think it will make people really be sure they have found their lifetime partner before just hitching up with anyone who comes along. I guess, it raises hope in me that maybe marriage can go back to the way it once was viewed.

Also requiring it to be annulled leaves the money battles and such to be settled privately or in civil cases, which supposedly is why the ban was initially brought up.

7. blackhorse

blackhorse Registered Member

yeah i love the idea about banning divorce..atleast it makes people think twice before goin into a commitment and atleast then they will be serious about it..right now there are such high divorce rates because those enterin a marriage KNOW they can get out of it anytime they want..so even for the tiniest problems they run and get a divorce which is really frustrating...and if there was a ban they would be forced to overcome differences and eventually learn to be happy..but i think the plan will fall on its face cos there will be rhetorical questions on free will..:(

8. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I'm not in favor of an outright ban, but I wouldn't have a problem with it being harder to do.

9. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

The only reservation I have with making harder to get a divorce is the fact that it won't change divorce or "stupid-teenager-marriage" rates; you'll just end up with a backlog of people trying to get through the harder system, and probably a whole swath of undesirable side-effects to boot.

10. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

In the short term, yes, but long term, people might be more likely to stop and think about it before getting married (depending, of course, on how it was handled).