Baking Your Own Bread

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by Boredie, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

Last few weeks I've been busy in the baking zone, specifically making challah.
    Challah is basically braided bread that Jews eat on Sabbath and holy days.
    I found this lovely recipe for dough that is originally meant for pizza but I adapted ever so slightly and I make it to make bread instead.

Do you ever make your own bread or do you religiously buy it ready made at the grocer's?
    Do you ever buy special bread for special occasions or will you make your own?

2. RJ-Cool

RJ-Cool "Expect the unexpected"

I couldn't bake to save my life if I needed to! :lol: I sometimes buy it directly from the bakery .........oven fresh!

3. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

I enjoy making my own bread.
    ...I love making sweet Hawaiian bread, cranberry-nut bread, bananna-nut bread, zucchini bread, ginger bread, sourdough bread, etc.

Though for quick sanwiches I'll run to the local bakery for Pumpernickel or Tiger bread.

4. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

We don't bake our own bread. We don't have time for that.
    Also, I'm not sure if we can make integral bread which is the only bread we eat.

We could buy special bread on special occasions.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

When I use to live at my parents house my mom use to make her own bread from time to time. She used a bread machine to make it though but it was probably the most delicious bread I've ever tasted.

It was white bread, it was a pretty big loaf of bread with thick crust around it. So good!

6. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

My mom makes the BEST bread ever. It's pretty yummy.

I've never attempted to bake bread myself, and I'm wondering how difficult it would be, without a bread maker. I have been trying to go all natural...so making your own bread would make sense. I would probably go for wheat. I bet my bread would look pretty bad when I went to slice it, though.

7. Boredie

If you are in possession of a mixer, it shouldn't be too difficult to make bread at all.
    And also it's really fun to [strike]play with[/strike] kneed the dough before and after you let it rise. :D

8. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't have a breadmaker, so I would have to do everything by hand. I hear the bread mixer is the best. Would you attempt to make bread without one? lol

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I can make products for the pâtisserie but not boulangerie. I mean, I've done cakes and cookies but never tried plain bread. I'm afraid I won't do the dough well, etc.

10. Boredie

Yes I think I would if I couldn't be bothered to use the mixer utensils.
    It basically a matter of mixing all ingredients together, and no reason why it can't be done by hand, though you'll need to kneed it for a good ten minutes in order to get good supple dough.
    ------
    It's worth a try though... the result is really good.
    Best way to start would be a simple pizza dough... and once you're confident with that there's no reason why you can't go for the bread. :nod:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
    AnitaKnapp likes this.