Bahai Apologetics

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by RonPrice, Dec 2, 2007.

1. RonPrice

RonPrice Registered Member

Apologetics is a branch of systematic theology, although some experience it’s thrust in religious studies or philosophy of religion courses. Some encounter it on the internet for the first time in a more populist and usually much less academic form. As I see it, apologetics is primarily concerned with the protection of a religious, philosophical or generally intellectual position, the refutation of that position's assailants and, in the larger sense, the exploration of that position in the context of prevailing philosophies and standards in a secular society. Apologetics, to put it slightly differently, is concerned with answering critical inquiries, criticism of a position, in a rational manner. Apologetics is not possible, it seems to me anyway, without a commitment to and a desire to defend a position. There are, of course, professionals who engage in this sort of work. Some are philosophers with PhDs who are employed in philosophy departments and, more recently, in departments of other disciplines at universities. Some are famed and accomplished men and women of learning and vast erudition. Then, again, there are the sagacious leaders and influential personalities who constitute yet another category of people who engage in apologetics. And, finally, there are a host of others from the average block to the most humble who make no claim or pretence to professional apologetics or even necessarily informed views, but they still hold views being human.

This activity I engage in, namely apologetics, is a never ending exercise. The apologetics that concerns me, and has for decades, is not a Christian apologetics or any one of a variety of what might be called secular apologetics, nor is it any one of a multitude of philosophical apologetics, tied to some particular philosophy. The apologetics that is of most interest to me is: Baha’i apologetics. There are, of course, many points of comparison and contrast between my apologetics and the apologetics of a vast array of others and their apologetic positions. Christians defend their view of Christianity by the use of apologetics; secular humanists argue their cases, existentialists theirs, Platonists theirs, and so on, if they so desire here. I will in turn defend the Baha'i Faith by the use of apologetics. In the process we all, hopefully, learn something about our respective faiths, our religions, our intellectual positions, our philosophies, inter alia which we hold to our hearts and minds dearly.

At the outset, then, in this my first posting, my intention is simply to make this start, to state what you might call "my apologetics position." This brief statement indicates, in broad outline, where I am coming from in the weeks and months ahead. -Ron Price with thanks to Udo Schaefer, "Baha'i Apologetics?" Baha'i Studies Review, Vol. 10, 2001/2002.:yes: