• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Bagel question

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
Why is it Bagels are never cut all the way in half? Is random question and maybe topic, but it is very annoying to me why this is.

Dabs

Registered Member
I haven't a good answer Ilus, I have pondered this myself. I always have to take a damn knife and slice the thing before I place it in the toaster. So I think, why do they even bother making an effort to cut the little they do?

Hiei

The Hierophant
It's probably so that it's easier to get in half than if they didn't cut it at all, and it keeps the two pieces of the same bagel together. That'd be my guess, anyway. Kind of the reason that they don't tear off the perforated pieces of paper.

Dabs

Registered Member
It's probably so that it's easier to get in half than if they didn't cut it at all, and it keeps the two pieces of the same bagel together. That'd be my guess, anyway. Kind of the reason that they don't tear off the perforated pieces of paper.

Well Hiei, that makes perfect sense! When you compare it to the paper situation, so I guess I understand it better :)

Impact

V.I.P.
Every bagel I ever bought was entirely whole, not cut even a little way through. Is it really that much of a hassle that you have to cut a little way through, really?

Hiei

The Hierophant
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever finished cutting the half cut ones that I get. I generally just either pull them apart or twist them apart.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The only ones I've seen that are partially cut in half are the ones you'd buy at a grocery store, like these...

I usually like to get bagels from actual bagel stores, like Einstein or Great American Bagel. They're usually bigger, fresher, and have a much better variety.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I believe it will keep the bagel fresher for longer and it only takes a few seconds to cut the things with a knife. It's not a tough steak.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I always thought the bagels weren't cut all of the way because they were cut by a machine and it would tear them if it didn't cut from opposite sides.

Also, I don't think this was a sub-talk topic.

Last edited by a moderator: