Movies Bad Accents in Movies

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Impact, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

One thing that really bugs me when watching a movie is actors trying to put on accents and failing miserably.

A stand out for me is Leo DiCaprio in Blood Diamond putting on a South African accent. He may not be all that bad but because I know it's fake it seems to stand out to be even worse than it is

Another is Robert Pattinson in Twilight trying an American accent. He jut pure fails at that.

So, are there any that stand out as really bad for you? Or even any really good ones?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010

2. Psy-cho

Psy-cho New Member

Keanu Reeves and Winona Rider in "Bram Stoker's Dracula". Absolutely ATROCIOUS.

Also, Richard Gere in "Hachi-gatsu no kyoshikyouku". One of THE worst Japanese accents I have ever heard in my entire life. It was painful. Extremely painful.

3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I know most people don't really see the difference but Benicio Del Torro is from Puerto Rico and in Traffic he played a cop in a Mexican border town. His accent, that of a Mexican wasn't bad, he did it pretty good.

I hated his accent in The Usual Suspects, though, I could never figure out what accent he was trying to do.
    ------
    I could not agree more, they both sucked very badly.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  4. Psy-cho

Psy-cho New Member

I love the movie, but they make it difficult to watch.

I'd also say Amy Yasbeck in "Dracula: Dead and Loving It" and "Robin Hood Men in Tights" (especially because even she jokes about how awful her British accent is), but it was all a big joke anyway so I don't feel it would really be fair to rag on her for it.

5. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

As soon as I read the title I knew who I was going to pick. There's only one person that stands out for me as being terrible at accents and that's Jason Statham. He does an absolutely terrible American accent. I have heard him try so hard in many films and he fails miserably.

6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I personally thought DiCaprio did a wonderful job on his South African accent, it's no easy task to do.

Even though this movie isn't out yet, I've seen many trailers of Edge of Darkness and Mel Gibson who is usually great with accents does a terrible Bostonian accent.

7. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Like I said, I think it was more because I knew it was a fake accent that it sounded so wrong to me. When actors get too well known, I start imagining them as themselves rather than their characters, and I think that's what ruined Blood Diamond a little for me.

8. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

That is how I felt when I saw Tom Hanks in The Terminal, he does some kind of eastern european accent in it I did nothing but think he will drop that anytime all the way through the movie.

I thought Tom Cruise's accent in Far and Away was pretty dire as was Nicole Kidmans.

9. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Well there's your problem right there. :lol:

I usually can't tell when people are doing accents. I'm either not familiar with the accent being used, or in the case of an American accent, I just assume everyone has their own dialects and ways of talking.

10. Psy-cho

Psy-cho New Member

I know, right? @[email protected] Sometimes I wonder why he continued to exist outside of the Bill & Ted movies. And "Point Break". I love "Point Break".

btw, on a totally random note, is that Wang Leehom in your avatar/sig?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010