Back Pain

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Lately I have been suffering from a lot of back pain. It started out hurting me a few months ago when I tried to put a little pillow behind my head when I laid back in my recliner so I stopped using the pillow. Now it hurts when I lay back at all in the recliner and now has progressed to hurting even when lay on my back in bed. It wakes me up at night.

I don't know for sure what is causing this. I know about twenty plus years ago I was bucked off a horse and that caused me back pain at the time but I got over it. No problems with it since then until now. Then when my husband was sick I was always trying to help him get up, lay down or catching him when he was passing out. At times I would have minor back pain but it always went away. Then I got the zero turn mower. My yard is rough in places so I wonder if bouncing on it caused it. Its been a month since I used it.

I do plan on going to the doctor but it needs to wait a couple of weeks because of other things I have going on.

I was wondering if anyone else has back problems? If so what did you have to do to help it or did anything help?

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
I've had minor back issues for many years. But not so much lately.

I found that for me, losing weight helped. Years ago, my stomach was too big from eating too many goodies. It put a little bit of a strain on my lower back as a result.

I'm still slightly overweight. However, I lost some pounds and shrunk my stomach in the process. It helped my back.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've had minor back issues for many years. But not so much lately.

I found that for me, losing weight helped. Years ago, my stomach was too big from eating too many goodies. It put a little bit of a strain on my lower back as a result.

I'm still slightly overweight. However, I lost some pounds and shrunk my stomach in the process. It helped my back.
Maybe that is what I need to do. I have gained some weight since my husband passed away.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
While you believe you got over being bucked off a horse, in reality that could be contributing to your present pain.

As we age our discs degenerate, or lose water content. When that happens discs can to bulge or herniate. That can cause pain. If the discs impinge on a nerve root, that can cause pain to radiate down an extremity.

This could also be joint pain. Our spine has facets that work much like the knee. This allows us to bend over and twist. Since it’s a joint, it can grow osteophytes, or spurs. This can cause pain.

I’ve had lower back issues for years. Not much you can really do without seeing a doctor other than otc meds. Voltaren gel can help.

Impaired

Registered Member
As a network engineer I am sure your issue is either wiring, or a bad power supply.

I have a friend who had similar issues with a riding mower. He wound up buying a custom seat with better springs and more padding.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
As a network engineer I am sure your issue is either wiring, or a bad power supply.

I have a friend who had similar issues with a riding mower. He wound up buying a custom seat with better springs and more padding.
I'm definitely adding more padding to mine. A egg sitter or something like that.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
While you believe you got over being bucked off a horse, in reality that could be contributing to your present pain.

As we age our discs degenerate, or lose water content. When that happens discs can to bulge or herniate. That can cause pain. If the discs impinge on a nerve root, that can cause pain to radiate down an extremity.

This could also be joint pain. Our spine has facets that work much like the knee. This allows us to bend over and twist. Since it’s a joint, it can grow osteophytes, or spurs. This can cause pain.

I’ve had lower back issues for years. Not much you can really do without seeing a doctor other than otc meds. Voltaren gel can help.
I think the pain I am having now in my middle back is from that old injury. My upper back pain seems to be related to muscle strain.

Will try try the Voltaren. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hear back pain is an issue with zero turn mowers - the vibration. Maybe a seat with gel or good springs? There are lots. Maybe ask a landscaper?
I've been reading zero turn and lawn tractors can cause back pain. I'm going to use a gel seat next season and see if it helps. Maybe not go as fast either. If not I might just have to start using a bush hog on it and only using the zero turn close to my house.

Impaired

Registered Member
I've been reading zero turn and lawn tractors can cause back pain. I'm going to use a gel seat next season and see if it helps. Maybe not go as fast either. If not I might just have to start using a bush hog on it and only using the zero turn close to my house.
First world problems. We just lost power for three days after a severe wind storm - had to read books on my tablet by candle light and having to use my phone and a bluetooth speaker for music instead of the stereo.

Hardship.