• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Back from Alaska

JimColyer

Registered Member
I got back to Nashville yesterday after 6 days in Alaska. It went great except for one thing---I did not see the northern lights. That was because there was a full moon the night before I left, otherwise I would have continued on to Fairbanks. Some people said they saw the lights, but I never did. I was out in the night and toward morning. Got to beware of grizzly bears! Denali Park and Mt. McKinley were the best. We drove 63 miles into the park and were there over 9 hours. We saw wildlife: grizzlies, moose, wolves, caribou and Dall sheep. I ate caribou meat. I rode the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Denali. It was a 7 hour train ride and quite scenic. We crossed many rivers created by glacier water. Alaska is a big place. I learned there are no snakes. It was about 50 degrees in the day and 30 degrees at night. I came back to Anchorage for my last day and did the town. I went to the Museum of History and Art. There are exhibits about native culture, local artists and Alaskan birds. Alaskans are friendly.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know some people who moved to Alaska. I heard it's real hard to get used to the 24/7 days or nights. What type of daylight did you have up there just now?

Was there snow on the ground?

JimColyer

Registered Member
There was no snow yet. Daylight seems normal now since we are midway between the extremes. The guide in Denali said he spent one winter there, and it was enough. Only 4 1/2 hours of daylight on December 21.

Albey

Registered Member
wow, that would just drive me crazy. Sounds like you had fun up there. 50 degrees in the day huh? I live in corbin,KY and its been that cold up here past few days lol.