• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Bachmann: Tea Party, or Govt. teat party?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Could the now co-front running Republican presidential contender Michelle Bachmann, while portraying herself as a conservative and a defender of self-determination, have taken hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars in government assistance programs? The report is that she did:

Rep. Michele Bachmann: She's had her share of government aid - latimes.com

My guess is that Righties will refuse to believe this allegation no matter how true it shakes out to be, and for Lefties it's further proof of her unsuitability for office, when none was really needed. In the final analysis, little will change.

What are your thoughts about this article and its potential impact? I would anticipate some suspicion about the timing, but as to whether or not news desks actually hold on to huge stories until it's the right time to 'get' a candidate, I find that to be purely the stuff of fiction.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Personally I like everyone running, but there's not really anyone I'm sold out to yet. I love Jim DeMint and had he run I would have given my time and what little money I could. But as of right now, its wait and see on everyone for me. I think a lot of people feel that way also. The article about Bachmann was serious if true. I believe with the financial state of things leaders are either part of the problem or part of the solution. If she's part of the problem and has taken farm subsidies then I'd have a hard time being gung-ho about a Bachmann candidacy. As a conservative she should understand that taking farm subs, ethanol crops, all of that stuff needs to go. If she doesn't understand that, I'd have a hard time supporting her.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
As a conservative she should understand that taking farm subs, ethanol crops, all of that stuff needs to go. If she doesn't understand that, I'd have a hard time supporting her.
See but it's not even a conservative thing. It's a liberal, democratic, republican and conservative thing. They all game the system and they all take handouts from those who support their agendas. The system itself is broken and with those people in power who abuse it, you'll never see changes to it.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
See but it's not even a conservative thing. It's a liberal, democratic, republican and conservative thing. They all game the system and they all take handouts from those who support their agendas. The system itself is broken and with those people in power who abuse it, you'll never see changes to it.
yeah and I agree with that. I mentioned Senator Jim DeMint. There's a guy that has completely sworn off earmarks. Even though in SC, there are many things that are needed and could easily pass through an earmark. The port of Charleston has needed deepening for years and if it doesn't happen soon, ships will be turned away. But, DeMint will not do it on an earmark. He's also lead on balanced budget amendment. But, that's one guy that is not a crook and is not seeking higher office.

More and more I think we keep running a trillion+ behind per year until it just falls apart and we're forced to restructure. Its no different than a neighbor I had that had 2 mortgages on his house, 3 new cars and went to Disneyland every year. One day the bank says no more and the party was over. Now he works around the clock, lives in a rental and drives a beater.