• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Bachmann 2012: It's official

Tucker

Lion Rampant
The Associated Press: Rep. Michele Bachmann enters presidential race

She used a Republican presidential debate as bully pulpit for launching her presidential campaign. Some might see it as catty attention-snatching, but what the hell? Money's down all over. Do what you gotta do.

Meanwhile, late-night comedians all over the country are popping corks and thanking Baby J for the bounty of material that's about to write itself.

That's my take on it, anyway, at this semi-historic juncture. (A little perspective: Vegas odds on Bachmann actually capturing the presidency are a reported 1000 to one.) What's your opinion?

Last edited:

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I think she will make it interesting. She's not my favorite but I think she has something to offer. Hopefully she will be able to move the debate in the right direction.

I won't be suprised if she becomes the latest female conservative to be endlessly vetted, investigated, ridiculed, and demeaned. If she gains traction and momentum she will be feared by the left and the campaign to destroy her will begin in earnest.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I won't be suprised if she becomes the latest female conservative to be endlessly vetted, investigated, ridiculed, and demeaned. If she gains traction and momentum she will be feared by the left and the campaign to destroy her will begin in earnest.
I understood none of that second sentence, sorry; but yes, I think it's a safe bet that she'll be endlessly vetted, investigated, ridiculed, and demeaned like any other candidate of either party or gender would be (unless you'd care to volunteer the name of an exception...?) I might have guessed that righties would play the sham sexist card (pre-emptively, yet!) over the mere thought of that far-fringer getting the same honest scrutiny as everybody else.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I didn't know there was a debate happening until about 9 last night. I saw the last hour of it. I thought the whole crew including Bachmann looked fantastic. I don't see why Bachmann wouldn't be taken seriously. She's an accomplished business leader and politician, she has a great story, she's a great speaker. She adds a lot to the race.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I understood none of that second sentence, sorry; but yes, I think it's a safe bet that she'll be endlessly vetted, investigated, ridiculed, and demeaned like any other candidate of either party or gender would be (unless you'd care to volunteer the name of an exception...?)
Barack Hussein Obama

I might have guessed that righties would play the sham sexist card (pre-emptively, yet!) over the mere thought of that far-fringer getting the same honest scrutiny as everybody else.
Oh that's right, liberals aren't sexist, they never divide Americans into little groups who each are to receive special rights and privileges. Unless, of course, they are conservatives. Then they are to be attacked and destroyed.

I think if Bachman emerges as a serious candidate then she'll get the same treatment that Palin receives.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Bachman is just ok. She wasn't specific in some of her answers. I like Newts thoughts on immigration. Ron Paul had good things to say about behavior regarding gays in the military. Pawlenty answered precisely about troops in Afghanistan. Cain and Samora (sp?) seem somewhat less prominent in this group. One issue that came up a few times was the argument that is used often that cites extremes as outcomes to policy changes. For instance, Obamacare repeal will cause people to die, or immigration enforcement will be inhumane. It is highly irritating when these exagerations make it into any and all debates.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Barack Hussein Obama
Nope, no birthers, nobody claiming he's secretly muslim, no one claiming he's secretly trying to destroy America . . . Absolutely no ridicule whatsoever.

;)

Oh that's right, liberals aren't sexist, they never divide Americans into little groups who each are to receive special rights and privileges. Unless, of course, they are conservatives. Then they are to be attacked and destroyed.

I think if Bachman emerges as a serious candidate then she'll get the same treatment that Palin receives.
Bachmann has the same problem as Palin though, she has nothing to offer. She's often been corrected on her blatantly awful mistakes (such as her superpower, misinterpreting the constitution) and her heavily conservative viewpoints may be too much to sway younger voters, a group Obama dominated last election. Secondly, I'm not trying to start anything here but I can't help but make the observation that us questioning your use of "gangsta" in relation to Obama got you all upset and mocking us but when you throw around such 'isms' it's okay?

The dislike Palin receives has nothing to do with her being a woman and neither does it for Bachmann. Both of them (to me) lack a real substance and don't bring anything to the table but old world policy, something we do not need. For me, I would never vote for Bachmann for a few reasons:

- She supports intelligent design in schools (I'm not paying the state so my kids can go to church)
- She believes the US should not be part of the global economy
- Is in heavy favor of a ban on gay marriage and gays in general
- Opposes minimum wage increases

But once again, that's just me. She's far too conservative for my views and anyone with that narrow of a social view should never be considered for a leadership position, especially POTUS.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
In what could become an interesting plot twist, Minnesota state law mandates that Bachmann drop out of the race by June 5 of next year if she wants to keep her seat in the House, which job she's not allowed to campaign for at all while she's running for President. It could come down to a very weighty decision for a person whose intellectual credentials include the comment: "I find it interesting that it was back in the 1970s that the swine flu broke out under another, then under another Democrat president, Jimmy Carter. I'm not blaming this on President Obama, I just think it's an interesting coincidence."

Bachmann Can't Seek Congressional Re-Election While Bidding for President - FoxNews.com

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Michele Bachmann scares me, not because I think that she poses a serious challenge to Obama, but because she is rabidly anti-gay, accuses the President as well as members of Congress of being anti-American, she voted against the College Cost Reduction and Access Act, she said that Obama's trip to India would cost $200 million a day, she thinks that gay marriage is the most serious issue facing our country, she wondered out loud if Harry Reid is interested in making sure kids start gambling at a younger age, she remarked on the "coincidence" of a swine flu outbreaks under Presidents Carter and Obama ... I could go on but I won't.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
It has to be noted as well that Bachmann, more than any other, really carried the flag for the birther movement right up until the time Obama's long form was waved in her FACE just a few weeks ago. Then she was happy because, as everybody knows, a long form birth certificate can't be faked, but a standard certificate of live birth - and matching hospital records - and matching state records - and matching testimony of family and friends and neighbors - so very easily can. :rolleyes:

Last edited: