• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Awful 1950s Marriage Advice

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Crap like in this article is why we had the women's liberation movement. The advice they gave these women was so stupid. Like if your married for years let abuse slide because its the wifes fault. They blamed absolutely everything on the woman, she wasn't giving him enough attention so its fine he cheats. She was also expected to have ESP and know what pleases her man.

Thank god this isn't the 1950's, you hit she may hit back or you could go to jail. If you cheat you will most likely end up divorced or she might decide to take advantage of having a open relationship. She can use her ESP to know when he plans on seeing his girlfriend.

How did women deal with being treated like that and given this crazy advice. No wonder they were all on Valium. I think its a good thing this column ended.

Awful '50s Marriage Advice Shows What Our Mothers And Grandmothers Were Up Against

The warped world of 1950s marriage counselling â

Thoughts?

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
This is anecdotal evidence, that doesn't mean this was the prevailing thought at the time. Granted women have a much stronger voice now and you don't see as much of this, but this is an example of an advice column with bad advice. That doesn't mean society in general agreed with what is written here, despite what the Huffington Post author of the piece erroneously concludes.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree not everyone thought like that or we would have never gotten enough support for women's lib but many did. Unfortunately there are still a few neanderthals out there that still hold some of these opinions.

I think Huffington got the story from the second link.