• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Averno Joins WWE

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Averno, one of the top rudos for CMLL for the half decade, has signed a contract with WWE. Averno is joining the US promotion to resume his feud with Misitco (now Sin Cara) as an unmasked heel. The plan was for him to lose his mask to La Mascara at June 17th’s Jucio Final, but plans may change as this news gets out. Multiple sources have confirmed to me both Averno’s signing and his imminent mask loss.

WWE has been unhappy with Sin Cara’s matches so far. Atypically, they’ve sought to resolve this by bringing in more agreeable opponents for him to work with. The story I was told is WWE went to Sin Cara and asked him that if he could work with anyone in the world, who would he most like to work with. Obviously, he picked his long time rival (and probably close friend) Averno. WWE earlier had Averno in for a tryout last October, the same tryout Mistico and Diamante were at (and which Durango Kid helped set up), but decided not to sign him at that time. Things have changed, and Averno secretly signed with WWE during their last tour of Mexico.

It’s worth noting this is not actually an expanded WWE raid of CMLL luchadors or lucha style wrestlers in general. They want Averno to fill a specific need. I do not believe this directly increases (or decreases) their chances of signing anyone else from Mexico. To put it simply, WWE signing Averno does not mean they’re about to sign Fantasma or Sombra or anyone else.

This is also a big risk for Averno; he’s coming in for a defined spot, but there may not be plans past that; compare Averno to Tyson Kidd, who works the style they WWE prefers, is very good at it, and is barely on their roster. Dropping your mask and going to WWE in hopes of a big push worked out for Alberto Del Rio, but not so much for Rey Ortiz. Since the plan is for him to work against Sin Cara, I expect he will be brought to the main roster quickly, and not go to FCW.

Averno has not informed CMLL of his WWE signing. Instead, Averno only told their programming department he wanted to lost his mask ASAP and, if they weren’t willing to do it, he would go to whichever outside promoter could pay him the most to drop it. CMLL agreed to do it there and scrambled their plans for June (a cage match which would’ve included the Gen11/Rayos feud and probably other rivalries; no loser had been definitively been decided), putting Averno’s mask loss in on 06/17. Mascara Dorada would’ve been the preferred choice to win the mask, but he’s locked in with NJPW comittements. It’s unknown if other people were considered, but CMLL is said to be a very divided and unhappy place at the moment, and politics surely played some role in the decision (as they do in most.)

As I write this, I believe upper CMLL management is still unaware of Averno signing with WWE (though I’m the impression that many other people in the company, which again speaks to the fractured nature of CMLL) and would’ve been when the card for next Friday was announced. Averno is not yet on any of the big six cards next week (GDL/Puebla/Mexico/Coliseo), but I do not believe that has anything to do with this news, and he is scheduled to work shows in Queretaro (Tuesday) and Xalapa (Wednesday).

I have declined to post about this because of that, and because early release of this information may cost people’s jobs, and may cost Averno a big payday. That’s not really worth being first, to me. I’m posting this story now because the word has gotten out to enough people that there’s really no way it can be kept as a secret any more. SuperLuchas has put the Averno to WWE portion on their cover, out today, though they are not confirming the mask loss.

It’s possible that CMLL may pull the match – as much for the betrayal as the result getting out – (though that would mean Averno would just find someone else to pay for the mask), but the CMLL way tends to be to ignore the world around them. Also, they’d be able to beat soon to be WWE star on the way out, and CMLL thinks that would mean a lot to their fans. We’ll see.

Sorry I had to spoil this result for everyone. Didn’t want to know who was going to win myself, but can’t tell this story without telling that part.
This is great news, I've seen a few matches from Averno and he's pretty gifted. Hopefully we'll see him and Sin Cara go at it very soon.

Here's a small sample.

YouTube - ‪Mistico VS Averno‬‏

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I really don't know what to think of this...if Sin Cara is having trouble part of me is kind of disappointed that the WWE is going to bring in someone else to suit his needs vs. giving other guys a chance. This probably wouldn't be happening if Sin Cara didn't have a mask to sell, lol (j/k).

However, an equal part of me is intrigued at seeing a new prospect. Maybe we'll see a guy getting a strange opportunity and running with it, I don't know.

Overall, I just think that the WWE should have waited longer, given Sin Cara some small feuds and time to improve.

Also, I lol'ed at 00:51. Botchamania!

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think this is a good move on the WWE's part. This will help Sin Cara get used to the WWE style of wrestling. He's had some great matches with Averno in CMLL.

Also, it looks like they are at least trying to establish a core for the CW Division. They got Rey & Sin Cara who could be the genesis of it, and then they got guys like Kofi, Evan, Tatsu, Gabriel, & others that would be easy transitions into it, and now they are bringing in other talents that would fit.

I'm excited to say the least.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Never heard of him but he sounds impressive. I like that the WWE is bringing in more and more luchadors to compete. The WWE is huge in Mexico.

I am excited.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Wow, yet another big-name Mexican acquisition! Sure, WWE have been trying to globalize their roster more over the past few years, but this is starting to seem a little lopsided. Could a semi-independent lucha division (similar to the 'new' ECW) be in the works, or possibly a TV show where the wrestlers cut their promos in Spanish?

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
This is great for the WWE. Averno is a fantastic luchador and is worth the extra money. However, I do not believe that removing his mask is a good idea. Keep him masked and have a heel lucha! It would be refreshing, to say the least.

What does this mean for Hunico and Epico, the luchas at FCW?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
This is great for the WWE. Averno is a fantastic luchador and is worth the extra money. However, I do not believe that removing his mask is a good idea. Keep him masked and have a heel lucha! It would be refreshing, to say the least.

What does this mean for Hunico and Epico, the luchas at FCW?
I was thinking of Hunico and Epico, too, when I heard this news...I've been hoping to get a chance to see them just because they've been with FCW for a good while now. They're kind of trained into the WWE niche. If they do tag team division rebuilding - they have a good opportunity right now - bringing these guys up to represent WWE's luchadors in that division would be a lot of fun, and somewhat different.

I agree about keeping the guy's mask on, as well. Why would he want it removed? Strange.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Vince only like to have a few masked wrestlers, it's the reason why Alberto Del Rio had to remove the one he had before he joined the WWE. I don't know the reason behind it, personally I believe it's stupid and the WWE should have more masked wrestlers.

I wonder what the WWE are going to call him. None the less, we should see him by the end of June in my opinion.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Masks sell big as far as merchandising...having more out there at the stands and online isn't a bad thing, but that's just my opinion.

The thing that still stands out to me is that this acquisition just feels kind of impulsive and rushed. I know he had a tryout before. He could end up being awesome, but it's a big risk just for the sake of Sin Cara. Plus, if Sin Cara can't work all that well with a vet like Chavo, what's going to happen after feuding with Averno?

I'm just really cautious about this guy, for some reason.