Movies Avatar Discussion Thread

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know there's another thread for Avatar but it hasn't been updated in two weeks. Also, it was made before the movie came out.

Guys, if there is one movie you see in the IMAX theaters it needs to be Avatar. I am temporarily breaking my GF break (not back at GF full time yet) just to tell you how amazing this movie is.

[highlight]While there are no spoilers in my post, no spoiler tag will be required in replies since this thread is meant as a discussion thread for those who have already seen the movie. I highly advise you to see it first before reading the rest of this thread.[/highlight]

It absolutely blew my mind. It left me completely speechless. It felt more like an experience of a lifetime than a simple trip to the theaters. See it and see it this weekend. Don't watch the trailers and don't ask people about it. Go see it completely cold if you have to. One thing is for sure, the 3D technology used for this movie is going to change the way movies are made. We'll think back on Avatar someday and tell our kids how we remember seeing this movie in the theaters. It's truly the Wizard of Oz of our generation.

As for plot, acting, etc, it was superb and very well done. The world in the movie is unlike any alien world ever portrayed in movies. James Cameron has actually gone where the human mind can rarely go. Into the unthinkable. Elements of the world he has created are so far from the reality and even the sci-fi realities we're used to. When watching this movie I literally felt like I was witnessing another world and maybe even another reality altogether first hand.

See the movie and see it ASAP. I rarely walk away from a movie without any negative thoughts about a movie. The last movie I really took time to review in depth was the Dark Knight and even that had some terrible acting by extras in it. Even Lord of the Rings had extras that couldn't act. If there was, dare I say, perfect, at least by today's standards. The bar has been raised and it will be hard to look at other movies the same after seeing Avatar.

Who has seen it. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
I just got back from seeing this film and I really enjoyed it, it's perfect popcorn entertainment. The world that Cameron has created is beautifull and really draws you in. With that said it isn't perfect and before I explain my criticisms I'd like to add that overall they didn't detract from the fact that I really enjoyed this film.

Some of the dialogue is awfully cliched and on occasion just plain awful. The Colonel takes the award for worst stereotype villain not to mention his ability to not need to breathe. Also "Unobtainium" is the best made up science word ever.

The thing with Avatar is that it's pretty much a retread of lots of other films mixed together and boxed up in a fantastic brand spanking new 3D package. You'll often find yourself reminded of many other films that have acted as some sort of inspiration to this. The Matrix, District 9 and most significantly Dances With Wolves to name a few. That's probably why I found it so predictable. Almost everything that the narrative makes a point of drawing your attention to gives you a massive hint about how that plot point will return later. The story of taming the giant dragon thing straight away flagged in my brain that he would do that to win them all over and rally the troops. Sigourney Weavers failed Avatar transplant was clearly going to be a success later on for Jake etc.

Predictability and some awful writing aside, Avatar really is a treat for any film fan. When it's trying to be deep about race and culture clashes it's actually pretty shallow and it's all been seen before anyway but it still manages to capture the imagination. This film for me defines the perfect "switch your brain off and just lose yourself in the fantasy" entertainment.

Last edited:

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
The movie is really good, although the story isn't all that original in its core, the application of the Avatar concept made it unique.

I Prefer to watch it in blue Ray, and i will once it comes out, the 3D made it loose some texture details and it didn't really add anything to the movie itself, besides the volumetric Subtitles, lol.

I was very pleased.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to say I'm shocked and disappointed with how many people here have seen this, or commented on this thread.

I thought for sure there were plenty of people here who would have seen this movie by now. I'm going back within a week or so to see it again. As far as I can remember it will be the first time I've ever seen a movie twice in the theaters.

I mean, there's already talk of it winning up to 9 Academy Awards and only two other people here have seen it? What is everybody waiting for? :D

Dragon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Am I the only person that thinks this movie sucks? Just kidding. This is the best movie I have ever seen in my life! The movie was amazing and it blew my mind away. The movie reminded me of the Matrix cause of how they had to jump in the chambers. Me and my brother were laughing because the only character name we knew in the movie was Jake. :lol:

Very awesome movie and I HIGHY recommend people go see it! I can't wait for this movie to come out on DVD.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
I've seen it. I was impressed by the graphics and the overall storyline, but i felt that they shoved the environmental stuff down our throats a little; it wasn't enough to ruin the movie but it was still annoying.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've seen it. I was impressed by the graphics and the overall storyline, but i felt that they shoved the environmental stuff down our throats a little; it wasn't enough to ruin the movie but it was still annoying.
I dunno, I don't even buy into the whole "global warming" scare but I still enjoyed the movie a lot. There's definitely something to be said about destroying rain forests, for example, and that's what I felt this movie addressed in a fair way.

I just got back from seeing it again today. It's just as good the second time through and in some ways better because instead of focusing on the plot and wondering how things were going to work out I could focus more on the visual effects and all the work that went into this masterpiece.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
James cameron is a great director, but he needs to learn how to shorten his movies a bit. I mean, his movies always start out wicked fucking slow, like the first hour drags on, but when the movie starts getting good, he is absolutley great. If he could increase the pace of the movie, it would've been the best movie I've seen.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I thought the flow and length of Avatar was perfect. I hate movies that toss things at you too quickly, I also hate movies that end too quickly. Needless to say I prefer the extended LOTR to the theatrical versions. I think establishing the plot and characters is just as important as resolving the plot in a timely manner. 2 and a half hours was perfect for this movie. If it was any less I would have felt like it was rushed.