Movies Avatar 2 million away from #1

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
LOS ANGELES - James Cameron's "Avatar" is on a course to sink "Titanic" at the box office.

No. 1 for the sixth-straight weekend with $36 million, the 20th Century Fox sci-fi spectacle lifted its domestic total to $552.8 million, according to studio estimates Sunday. "Avatar" raised its worldwide total to $1.841 billion. That's $2 million shy of first place behind Cameron's last movie, the 1997 shipwreck epic "Titanic," at $1.843 billion.

"It defies all superlatives," said Chris Aronson, head of distribution for Fox.

The studio said "Avatar" has hit $1.29 billion in international ticket sales, passing the $1.24 billion mark set by "Titanic." The saga set on the alien world of Pandora is also en route to overtake "Titanic" in domestic sales. After 37 days in theaters, "Avatar" soared past "The Dark Knight" on Saturday to become the second highest grossing film.

'Avatar' tops box office for sixth-straight week (AP) - Yahoo! Movies
Beings that its making 36 million a weekend... I think its fair to say that Avatar has this one in the bag. I'm glad to, I felt it was a great movie, way better than Titanic and well deserving of the title of highest grossing movie ever.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have yet to see Avatar, but my brother saw it and he said it was amazing, but not the storyline itself but the graphics.

I personally believe it's going to pass it, if they haven't yet. I'm just curious on how much money it's going to end up with.

Just imagine how many DVD's their going to sell as well.

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Yeah, I think without a doubt this is going to make the number one spot. It's pretty cool to be able to say you saw it in the movies.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I reckon this will take number one spot and make a huge gap between first and second that it will be impossible to break one day.

I've got to say it suprised me when I heard that. I never thought about it breaking sales records, but I can definatly see why.

Talk about a good investment. Pay like 500 million to make a movie, and sell over 1billion in tickets. 2:1 return.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
but Titanic was really good....:lol: I dunno how I feel about Avatar *probably* breaking the record. I think Titanic struck more heartstrings than Avatar although I don't think that was the point. Still, I'd take Titanic just cause I found it more moving. :T

Plus did you not tear up the first time you heard My Heart Will Go On? :p Even though I was in the first grade when Titanic came out and I remember feeling sad, but when I saw it when I was older, I definitely felt a little dust in my eyes.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Yeah, I think without a doubt this is going to make the number one spot. It's pretty cool to be able to say you saw it in the movies.
MOST DEFINITELY! I'm excited to be able to say that.

Plus did you not tear up the first time you heard My Heart Will Go On? :p Even though I was in the first grade when Titanic came out and I remember feeling sad, but when I saw it when I was older, I definitely felt a little dust in my eyes.
nah, actually I didnt hahaha. I ended up laughing more after watching titanic than I did anything else. I mean really.....

"I'll never let go!" - :dead: - "Oh you're dead now?" - Kaploooosh! - :boat:

Avatar however made me tear up a few times. During the destruction of Home Tree, during the braveheart-esque speech, at the end... the only theatrical performance to ever tug at my emotions like that was Band of Brothers.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to agree with Oxy on this one, I thought Titanic was a great movie. I didn't really care for the romance part of the movie, because it's not my type of thing when I watch movies, but after the ship struck that Iceberg the movie got real exciting.

Overall in my opinion it was a great film.

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
I only liked Titanic when the iceberg hit the ship, made me laugh haha!

Still haven't seen Avatar as well, I need to see it soon and wow it's soon to take over Titanic as well?

It's funny because it's also James Camerons movie haha...