• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Automatic vs Manual Transmision

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Which kind of transmission do you prefer?
Automatic or Manual -
And Why?

Myself, I prefer manual, and I drive a manual. I prefer actually having to do something as I drive, have a bigger input into the journey than just sitting like a plum steering. Also, I like the ability to change at a whim to meet the demands of the road -

I think if I stepped into an automatic the lack of a clutch pedal would seriously bother me.

What do you drive?
What do you prefer, or think you'd prefer if you have no experiential basis for this?

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I have to say automatic because I don't know how to drive manual nor have I ever attempted to. I will stick to automatic because it's easier to drive.

Xeilo

V.I.P.
I can drive a manually but I prefer auto since I am lazy and not that into cars to care lol.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I drive a manual transmission and I definitely prefer this. I like to have better control over my acceleration especially. I too feel like I get bored when driving an automatic. I have driven an automatic a few times, and whilst it's good for peak time traffic, I was bored to death with it. I actually really enjoy driving, so manual lets me enjoy it even more.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I haven't driven a standard in years but I'm sure I could if I had to. I prefer automatic and have driven automatic for a long time now. I do miss driving standard at times especially for speed, but I've become so accustomed to automatic after driving it for so long now.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Until a few years ago I always drove a standard and when I would have to drive an automatic I would try to clutch and shift out of habit. Sometimes that didn't work out too well. Now though I drive an automatic and probably won't go back to a standard because its easier not to have to shift.

dDave

V.I.P.
I definitely prefer to drive an automatic, I can drive a manual but I don't like having to think about when to shift gears.

If I'm working on fixing the car then no doubt I want to be working on a manual. A manual is WAY easier to fix than an automatic.

My brother drives a manual Jeep all the time. Occasionally when he'll drive my car he goes for the clutch and then the whole car jerks for a second when he realizes he doesn't have one. :lol: (it doesn't help that the PRND is on the floor of my car)

Iris

rainbow 11!
I have a ford focus, automatic. I have never driven a stick and don't know how. It'd be nice to learn, but no one is willing to teach me. I don't know why. I'm very careful with cars. I've had one accident and one ticket and the ticket was for the accident.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I can and do drive both. My white modded Sunfire is an automatic and my purple Camaro is a stick shift. My older brother, who pretty much taught me how to drive, insisted that I learn both in case of an emergency. I personally prefer an automatic over a stick. I live in the valley, and it's pretty tedious to drive a stick with all the hills we have.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I prefer automatic. I once learned how to drive a manual transmission, but it's been so long ago that I don't even remember.