Auto merging posts

Discussion in 'Ideas & Support' started by AnitaKnapp, Jun 4, 2009.

1. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

It's annoying. Currently, when a post is automerged, then the original date/time of the post takes on the date/time that it was merged. So say that I make a post a week ago...if I'm the first person to post in it again, then it is automerged, it looks like I just made the original post instead of posting a 2nd time.

I think that the post should maintain it's original time/date...and when it is automerged then it be added in the edit text at the bottom of the post. And maybe not even automerge posts that are more than a few days apart anyway.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

It used to keep the old time but then people complained that it didn't bump the thread. It's a one or the other scenario.

The reason for auto merging is because it looks cluttered otherwise if the same person replies to a thread multiple times in a row.

3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

So you're saying that if I post in a thread from a week ago... then post again today (in the old system)... it wouldnt "bump" the thread?

Essentially it'd be like just editing your old post then right?

Where as in the new system... it bumps it by changing the 1st post Entry time... I think I get it.

4. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Just curious...I saw a double post that wasn't merged the other day, a few actually. I think it was in the intro forum. Is it not set to auto merge there?

5. Mirage

It's not set up to merge posts made by newbs since they found out how to cheat the spam filter by posting something innocent and then posting some spam and having it auto merge into the first post, which already showed up. Sneaky sneaky... :lol:

6. AnitaKnapp

Why don't you just make it to where editing posts causes a bump?

7. Mirage

A "bump" can only be done by changing the time of the post. Threads are sorted in order by the time of the last post in the thread. In order for a thread to show up on top, the last post in the thread needs to be the newest out of all the posts on the site.

8. AnitaKnapp

But why? Can't you raise you magic wand and change it to bump all changes? The last forum I was on would bump if you edited a post.

9. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

I hate automerging posts...if it were up to me, which its not, I would have separated posts for everything. I think it looks cluttered with everything on top of each other. But thats me.

10. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I've complained about this for years. I agree with kdmillz, I think it's MORE cluttered with auto-merging. I can see auto-merging two posts made within an hour of each other or something, but other than that I think they should be separate.

Millz likes this.