• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Auto-merging double posts

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I think this feature should be removed, or at least make it so after a certain amount of time you can create a new post separate from your previous one. Doesn't make sense to have a new post merged with a post that is several days, sometimes weeks or months, old.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I've always kind of thought that it should be disabled for long-time members, because by then they're used to the system and know when a double post might be ok, and not just become a douche about it.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's true too. Maybe I will take a look at it because it annoys me a lot at times too. Really it's not really even that needed. Maybe for 24 hours but I agree that it's annoying to reply to something later with an update and the post doesn't bump the thread to the top or show up in the "New Posts" list.

dDave

V.I.P.
Well if nobody posts on that thread except one person then it should probably end.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
That's not the point, Dave, the main point is adding an update to a thread, maybe like my Zelda quest. Or, reviving an old popular thread where you happen to have made the last reply.

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
I think that the auto-merge should probably be set at between 12-24 hours. If someone is posting after that much time, they are probably not doing it to add to the post they already made. They are usually making a new post about what the thread is about. That is what I think.