Auto Bidding to your Max

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by Mirage, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't like the way eBay automatically bids up to your maximum. It's a decent feature, but I think within the last hour or so of the auction, or maybe even last 10 minutes, all bids placed should automatically be set as high as you bid.

So if the current bid is $100, and you bid $500, the bid would be $500, and not $101.

I say if people are willing to pay that much let them. It's better for buyers and sellers.

Buyers: It's better because they have a fair shot to see exactly what they have to outbid.

Sellers: It's better because (see above) buyers will bid a lot higher.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?

2. Nanner

Nanner Registered Member

I love your idea when I'm selling. Not so sure when I'm buying :) Yeah it's a pain to have to type in a couple of bids on an item you REALLY want just to get higher than the high bid......BUT......as a buyer I'd also hate to pay 500 for something that I could have gotten for $101.

Now when I sell stuff then give me that 500!!! :lol:

But I do understand what you are saying about maybe doing it the last 10 min or so. That would be good.

3. kromsales

kromsales Registered Member

I couldnt agree more!!!

4. SamusAran86

SamusAran86 Registered Member

There are pluses and minuses to the way its done, but I too have gripes about it.

but I consider it the luck of the draw

5. jesudason55

jesudason55 Registered Member

I completely agree, I don't like this system either!

6. mom_of_sixoxo

mom_of_sixoxo Registered Member

i believe in sniping all the way... part of the game -the fun of the "chase" as a buyer is a skillful snipe, (except when i'm outsniped of course lol) and as a seller i love the snipers who drive up the otherwise lower bid... just don't understand why some sellers get snippy about snipes. they don't understand the math i guess

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Don't get me wrong, a single sniping session made the difference of $26,000 on one of my auctions... :D

And now that I think about it, what I said earlier in this thread doesn't make the most sense either. No need for someone to have to bid mich higher than the person next in line.

8. iowamommy77

iowamommy77 Registered Member

I think that would be a good feature. Isn't there a way for someone to suggest it to ebay?