• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Auto Auctions

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Has anyone else ever purchased a vehicle from an auto auction? Generally dealers and private owners will take their excess stock to a large auction to be rid of them. You can find some great deals there.

I got a 1997 Cavalier with 120k miles for $1000 that I ran until someone wrecked into me. I got $2300 from the insurance company with it and used that to buy a 1998 Nissan Quest minivan. It is fully loaded but has high miles. I only paid $700 for it and it has full maintenance records from the day it was purchased. I've had that vehicle for six months now and I love it.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I never have before, but after hearing what you've gotten it makes me want to go to one. However, I feel that around here I would probably easily be outbid by someone who wants to buy it and sell it at a higher price.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've only been to one and I didn't buy anything couldn't find one that I wanted. I know someone that got a good deal on a car he got at a auction. I think this was a police auction and he didn't give much for it at all and drove it for a long time.

I wouldn't mind going to one again and seeing what I can get. Even if you don't buy anything it can be fun looking at all the cars and trucks.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I feel that around here I would probably easily be outbid by someone who wants to buy it and sell it at a higher price.
That's what all of your local dealers do. Most of the cars you see at the secondary used car lots and the buy here, pay here places is cars from auctions that are made to pass state inspections. Going to the auction is cutting out the middle man and even overbidding for a car can get you a great deal. The auction near me has cars with 50,000 miles for $5000 and sometimes less with nothing wrong with them at all. You're almost always bidding against someone who has overhead like car maintenance, transport, and profit margin.