"Author Reveals “The Surprising Truth About Violent Video Games”"

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by fleinn, May 13, 2008.

1. fleinn

fleinn 101010

Author Reveals “The Surprising Truth About Violent Video Games” — Open Education

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Not a bad article. Pretty open minded. It's interesting that some of the evidence she mentions actually puts more of the blame on violent movies than violent videogames.

3. fleinn

fleinn 101010

Right. The passive participation.

4. KiethBlackLion

KiethBlackLion Registered Member

I always felt that the violent people (who commit acts which gets them on the news) tend to gravitate to the violent games. People, particularly the press, seem to forget that the whole point of video games is to entertain a person. That's it. Just entertainment.

Frankly, if someone does something because it was in a game, a movie, or a book, then there was probably something wrong with the person to begin with. During one of my Criminal Justice classes, we were told about a boy who killed his sister, chopped her up and hid the pieces. When asked why he did it, he said that the "bitch needed to die". When asked where he got the idea on how to hid the body he said "CSI".

But CSI is such a highly respected show, how can anyone be influenced negatively by it? *please not the major sarcasm in that last line*

5. pus_in_boots

pus_in_boots Registered Member

Then there's the kid who decapitated his friend with a cleiver because he saw it in manhunt. But that kid must've ahd deep-rooted psychological problems, or something. Here's the news, media freaks: Playing GTA doesn't make the nation's youth go out on killing rampages. They tried blaming Doom for The Columbine Massacre but that's obviously a big load. Assholes.

6. fleinn

fleinn 101010

I don't know - do people play guitar hero to feel good? Do people play GTA4 to feel good about killing people? Imo, the entire discussion is silly - we look down on anger and rage in every form. Any excessive display of emotion is crazy. But cold, calculated killing and locking everything up, that's the best and most sought after ability there is.

Now that's sick.