Australia's last WWI Vet Passes Away

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Australia's last World War One soldier dies, aged 110 | Lifestyle | Reuters

CANBERRA (Reuters Life!) - The last remaining Australian to serve in World War One has died at the age of 110, Veterans' Affairs Minister Alan Griffin said on Wednesday.

John "Jack" Ross, who was also Australia's oldest man having turned 110 in March, died in his sleep early Wednesday morning at a nursing home in Bendigo in the state of Victoria.

Ross was 18 when he enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force in January 1918 and trained at the wireless training school, but the war ended nine months later and before he could be posted overseas. He was discharged on Christmas Eve that year.
Its always an amazing thing to recognize how long a person can live and how much they can really go through throughout their lives. This guy Served in WWI... which means He's seen all kinds of things happen and change throughout the 90's and even the turn of the century in 2000.

Can you imagine having an opportunity to see all of that happen over your lifetime?!?!?!

Bananas

Endangered Species
It is crazy to think that he would of been 40 at the onset of ww2, he retired whilst the vietnam war was going on. I can only hope he died peaceful in the knowledge that for all our flaws we have bettered ourselves.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Each time a veteran dies, my first thought is (and I know it's selfish) whether they had the time to document about their experiences. In a few years, nobody who lived during those periods in the history will be alive. I wish I interviewed my grandfather more about the wars before he died.