• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Austin Aries officially with NXT

EdgeHead

Registered Member
If you haven't heard by now, Austin Aries has officially arrived to NXT. He made his debut during Friday night's tapings as he was introduced by William Regal but was attacked by Baron Corbin on his way to the ring.

Looks like A Double will face Baron Corbin at NXT Takeover: Dallas, although it's too early to speculate.

Discuss the Greatest Man That Ever Lived right here.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
NXT has become great.

This is such a good signing, and to be under the radar amidst all of the Bullet Club talk makes it a lot of fun. Aries has always been a favorite of mine and I always worried he'd never make it to the WWE - he has the pipe bomb skills of CM Punk and some amazing wrestling talent. He can fly and he can also wrestle a great match without ever leaving the ground. I look forward to seeing him do his thing.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm semi-surprised they're not looking to change his name, both for marketing rights, and, because, in Vince's world, two sports entertainers can't have the same first name.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Given that Austin Aries will probably stick on NXT like Samoa Joe to give the brand star power, this isn't really relevant anymore. Especially in this time of WWE needing star power, they can't be too nitpicky on stuff like that. Fans are knowledgeable (for the most part, I'd like to believe) and know who Austin Aries is.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Why do Samoa Joe, AJ Styles and Austin Aries keep their names but Prince Devitt and KENTA have to change theirs? Its cool with me, don't get me wrong haha

BUt anyway, this is awesome. Aries is so good.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Good question but on the other hand, Prince Devitt, KENTA and Kevin Steen all got to pick their WWE name, which isn't something WWE has allowed a lot of people to do through the years. I'm just happy to see all those awesome guys working under the same umbrella and doing great money in the process.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
With Styles it makes sense to me because he was the biggest free agent not to be in the WWE and the most widely known. Similar to Samoa Joe. I think even many fans that may have watched a little TNA back in the day may not be privy to New Japan. With ROH, some fans knew Steen very well but he wasn't as big as Styles.

But Aries is al little bit of a question mark. Maybe WWE is just adjusting its philosophy this year for people that are known outside of the WWE, feeling that naming rights for guys in their mid to late 30s isn't a big deal.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Well, given how they plan to use Austin Aries, just like Samoa Joe, I don't think that the naming rights are truly an issue here. Like I said many times, Austin Aries is mainly here to provide star power for the NXT brand and work with the younger talent to produce quality matches - which he will assuredly do. But also, I think that with all those injuries, maybe they realize that they might have to call Samoa Joe and Austin Aries to work on the main roster eventually and with their massive indy followings, it's gonna be easier to build that fanbase among the WWE Universe.

Overall, it's very nice to see that WWE - thanks to Triple H - has changed his stance on signing indy talents and use established stars instead of solely relying on building their own stars.