• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

August 1 Warning - Impact Wrestling Thread

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
So for those keeping up with Impact Wrestling, amidst everything going on in the company story-wise lately a debut of some sort may be happening tomorrow night. These videos have been released. The ones that follow this first one name-drop, saying things about not being Batista and not being a rock star like Chris Jericho. I'm definitely intrigued, and look forward to the show this week. We'll also be getting some BFG Series matches, and the fans get to vote on which set of matches will happen. Some intriguing matches are included on all options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrFJKHhVQPE

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah I have no idea who this is or what's going on here but I am intrigued as well.

I hope its a big name.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'd be happy with a big name or even a former WWE midcarder that's floating around out there (Benjamin, Morrison, MVP for example). I'd also be happy with a figure from Ring of Honor...it feels like TNA hasn't brought someone over from there in a while.

My main thing is wishing that it's a wrestler that will be active and not just some manager or celebrity appearance.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree...this better be about an actual wrestler and not another celebrity.

I don't even have a guess though so that's good enough for me.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm pretty sure it's Karl Malone. :lol:

I think a big pro to having a known wrestler throw himself into the mix is that the focus has been primarily on Aces & Eights and Main Event Mafia...that's been awesome IMO, but it doesn't hurt to have someone stand out on individual merit at the same time. The best things that TNA has done (Joe vs. Angle, Angle vs. Wolfe, Joe vs. Daniels vs. Styles, to name a few) has been about individual wrestlers bringing their A games. These factions are fun but aren't game-changers. Individuals can be in any company.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have not been watching impact wrestling, in fact I have not watched in some time so I cannot comment on what is going on right now but I did want to throw one thing into the ring: Well done TNA on this promo.

If there is one thing I miss about the WWE of old is their promos, the WWF/E used to have the best in the world, in the old days the promos really made an impact (no pun intended) but these days (and maybe it's because they cannot focus on one or two wrestlers as much) it feels they have not been doing that. As an example look at RVD. As soon as I heard he was going to be at MITB I looked for promo returns, asked about RAW etc and it seems the WWE didn't make much of an effort except to show a load of old footage. Based on this I may have to give impact another go.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Well in the WWE's defense fans are excited just to hear RVD's name and music. He's always been just that over. His old footage may give younger fans an idea of his capabilities and why he should be respected as well. Promos or videos would have been fun though.

Another thought I had - what if it's D.O.C. (Luke Gallows)? His contract was up but from what I hear from Millz the negotiations may have been messed up. What if they hired him right back and he's "not with the company" but going to do his own thing? He was looking to brake away from Aces and Eights anyway.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah I would totally disagree about the WWE and their videos. If anything its the exact opposite...they are still the kings of those haha. And what Dan said about the RVD deal is excellent...the young kids don't know him as well so might as well show him at his best.

DOC! Hmmm...that's an interesting thought. I wonder haha
------
Uh oh just saw this...

Bellator announced Rampage Jackson against Tito Ortiz in MMA fight November 2 on PPV from the Long Beach Auditorium in Long Beach, CA.

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Yeahhhh MMA's been worrying me because he specifically says "SpikeTV" in the promo here and there. Tito's been with the company before as a ref I think, and he sucks.

My hopeful thing in thinking of an MMA dude is - why do a sneaky promo like that? With them if you're trying to draw, announce ahead of time that an MMA star is making an appearance. A teaser like this seems to lean towards new roster member...I hope. I'd rather have Hardcore Holly show up full time than a temporary MMA appearance. blah.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Yeah I would totally disagree about the WWE and their videos. If anything its the exact opposite...they are still the kings of those haha. And what Dan said about the RVD deal is excellent...the young kids don't know him as well so might as well show him at his best.
See I disagree with this, I look at videos from the attitude era especially for people like Cactus Jack, The Rock, HHH etc etc and I really don't think the promos these days can hold a candle to them. As for RVD I still don't think they made a big enough deal of it, I know they needed to show the footage of his older wrestling but one lousy 30 second promo on a PPV? Sorry but for someone with RVDs pedigree and history that just isn't good enough, plain and simple.