Atoms-2 places at once?

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by FulgurousWind, Jun 18, 2008.

1. FulgurousWind

FulgurousWind Registered Member

I picked up an introductory quantum mechanics book today since it has always interested me. I'm not sure how many of you know anything about it but according quantum mechanics, atoms can be in 2 places at the same time? I read the first chapter and it explains the double-slit experiment. Does anyone here understand this experiment?

2. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Basically, if you shoot a single electrons, one after another, at a board with two slits on it, they will land on the surface behind the board in the pattern that multiple waves produced by a fluid traveling through two slits would cause, as opposed to the pattern that individual objects which obey Newtonian physics would cause.

This is part of what causes us to say that such electrons go into a state of "superposition" that we can visualize as said electrons being in multiple places at once until their "waveform" collapses (which is said to occur when we observe where they happen to be at any given time).

I'm not sure if I'm helping or being more confusing, but there you have it. Reconciling what happens at the quantum level with what happens at the macroscopic level is something that physicists have yet to do, though not for a lack of trying.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  3. FulgurousWind

FulgurousWind Registered Member

Thanks, that clears things up for me :nod:

4. Jakey-D

Jakey-D Registered Member

:-/

You ave's big brains...*drools...*

5. MrBondUk

MrBondUk New Member

its all to do with a collapsing wave function, as EI said the electron exists in all states at once. until it is observed, this is where the idea of multiverses comes in to play, each different out come happens in a different multiverse. look at this Double-slit experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    gives a fairly good explination

But one thing is, if anyone one says they understand quantum theory there a bloody liar! No one does, its just interpretations!

6. troubl3dmind

troubl3dmind Registered Member

I looked at a video for the double slit experiment a long time ago and basically what I got from it is....

a particle acts in an unexpected way until it is observed, then it goes back to acting as expected. I think about it a lot in relation to cards. 52 cards in a deck and you draw an ace of spades. the drawing of a single card is a random statistic, does this statistic change simply because there's no way we can know if it does? what if someone knows the order of the cards, would the outcome be different?

google the tenth dimension on google video and give it a look. somewhere in the video he says waves of propabilities are collapsed simply by the act of observation. is this really the way our universe works?