• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Atlantic circulation weaker than in last 1000 years

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Raw Story said:
Powerful Atlantic Ocean currents fuel Gulf streams, affect sea levels, warm cities in continental Europe and North America, and bring nutrients up from ocean depths that help sustain marine ecosystems and fisheries.

Atlantic circulation weaker than in last thousand years — here’s why it matters
This isn't good, they think it has something to do with Greenland melting so fast and dumping all that cold water into the ocean but its not conclusive. If it keeps up Europe will have to get use to colder winters. Wonder if its why we have been having such cold winters here the last couple of years. One morning last winter it was -23F here.

I had no idea it almost collapsed when the Beatles were breaking up and if things don't change we could see a more permanent shutdown in the next decade or two, scary.

Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Here's an interesting article I found from 2009. Seems a lake in Canada dumped a bunch of fresh water in the the North Atlantic and Arctic oceans, they think, and disrupted the gulf stream which caused the last ice age 13,000 years ago and it did it fast. They think if the Greenland ice caps melt it could do the same thing.

Last Ice Age took just SIX months to arrive

Wouldn't that disrupt life as we know it. Where would all the people go? What would they eat?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Guess the Antarctic melting will help with the slowing of the ocean currents. Guess we had better get ready for another ice age.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Some countries like Bangladesh will be in a lot of trouble if that happens. I'm not sure about this but it might submerge most of the country.

There might be a mass migration of people to where I don't know, and not just Bangladesh, but from places too cold to live if the gulf stream shuts down.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
You don't understand, this is much more dire than that. If the oceans stop circulating, they will no longer be oxygenated. If this happens (and it has happened before) the result will be death of almost all oceanic life, followed by epic growth of sulfur eating anaerobic bacteria that release hydrogen sulfide gas as a bi-product of their life process. It is currently believed that of the last 5 mass global extinctions, 4 were caused by this, and one by an asteroid impact. The Earth became a gas chamber, killing over 99% oxygen breathing life.

I think the answer is to continue releasing trillions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere and ignoring the problem. A species that doesn't respect the planet that sustains them doesn't deserve to inhabit it. On the plus side, the oceans will turn purple with this bacteria, and the skies will turn green from the gas. Our last sunset should be remarkably pretty.

- Cham

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
The Red Rain phenomenon is much stranger than that. Scientists have observed that a self-replicating micro-organism is causing the red rain, one that has NO DNA. Figure that one out. Since the earliest observations of this phenomenon have been preceded a short time earlier by a large asteroid impact, it is speculated that this organism is extra-terrestrial in origin. It is like no other organism on Earth.

- Cham

PS Chances are we'll be gassed out of existence before the flooding or red rain become too much of an issue. Been nice knowing you. :D