• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Athletes showing emotions

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Why do people hate it when an athlete shows emotion in sports? It's a natural instinctive state of mind that we all have.

One thing I love about sports is when an athlete gets out of his shell and shows emotion.

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
Me too. I loved the Bautista bat flip I live for the Ortiz bat flip and I can even dig Archer kissing his bicep. I may not like it in the moment against my team but in the grand scheme I'm all for them.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Couldn't agree more fellas. Why would anyone be against a player having fun? A bat flip or jumping on the boards after a scoring a goal isn't showboating, it's displaying that you actually care about what you do.

thegreatone1964

Registered Member
Couldn't agree more fellas. Why would anyone be against a player having fun? A bat flip or jumping on the boards after a scoring a goal isn't showboating, it's displaying that you actually care about what you do.
I think you need to evaluate the situation -- I saw a punter the other day from mid field who punted for a fair catch at the 15 -- looked to the sky and crossed himself and thanked God. Yes, God allowed you to perform your task in a completely mediocre manner. Great. That pisses me off. Many tacklers hit a guy 5-8 yards downfield. Jump around as if they stiffed a guy at the goal line in the Super Bowl. Baseball reliever up 3 against a 95 loss team, K's the final batter -- gives it the double guns a-blazin' or the bow and arrow. Ridiculous.

If you actually DO something or ACHIEVE something (hit a huge playoff HR, win an NBA title) I have no problem with a display of honest emotion. The real reason people hated Christian Laettner is that he won all of the time, and he let them hear about it. Even if a team I absolutely despise wins, hey, you won, to the victor go the spoils, act anyway you want. But I do have a big problem with guys whose actions greatly overstate what they have accomplished.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I have no problem with athletes showing emotions. In fact, that's one of my favorite things about sports is that they bring out so much raw emotion.

The thing I don't care for is choreographed celebrations or things that are done to purposely draw attention to oneself.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
The great thing about stuff like the Bautista bat flip is that the day after, you get to find out who all the squares are in the sports media.

I used to be a great big Micheal Wilbon fan..... not anymore. I think if I met him in person I'd put my hand over his face and shove him aside like "talk to the hand". It's great to see what's really underneath people for a change, and who appreciates passion instead. Obviously the losing team is going to be biased, but when you're a 3rd party who doesn't get that great moments justify the entertainment factor... come on... there's something wrong with you.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Wilbon is so grumpy. Unless it's about his Chicago sports teams, Kobe Bryant or Serena Williams, he isn't happy about anything :p

Kornheiser on the other hand.....he entertains me a lot!