• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Atheists: Texas prayer day harmful

Wade8813

Registered Member
The problem is if you side with the atheists, the idiots (AKA: the American majority) will think that you're doing it because you 'hate god/religion' which is not the point at all nor is it a rational conclusion.
There are people who think that way, but I doubt it's the majority.

I mean, this country had a pissing fit over a Muslim community center being built a few blocks from Ground Zero, something that should have never been an issue (but our blind hatred of Islam made it an issue). On the one hand, we have plenty of religious holidays already and there are probably more important issues of religion and government wrongfully sucking each others' tits to be had, but the point remains that if you're going to recognize one religion you need to be ready to recognize others.
I don't see how they're related (not to mention your premises are flawed IMO).

Problem is, you're seeing this only through a lawyer's point of view. I never attempted to compare anything from a legal standpoint. This is strictly about how Americans perceive and handle different religions. So my post was really more about tolerance, kind of like the atheist group in the story. In the end, they're simply going on what they believe and that's that the government and religion have no business being together.
They're not just saying "I think this is wrong". They're saying "I think this is unconstitutional".

And if taxpayer money is at stake, well then this is going to turn into a whole different discussion.
Taxpayer money?

You keep talking about Rick Perry as if this is something he is planning with his family in their house, which is clearly not the case. Would you defend him if he wanted a Muslim day of prayer? What about a Jewish day of prayer and worship? I've already stated that this is kind of 'small potatoes' when it comes to being an important issue for people to be worrying about as no one is being forced to participate. Like I said previously, I'm just worried if this would have ramifications for the American tax payer because I know I'm sure as hell not going to let my tax dollars go to any faith because they don't belong there.
Why would I care if a Muslim governor wanted to support a Muslim event? Or a Jewish governor, or a Satanist governor, or whatever?