Atheists and Religious Holidays.

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by icegoat63, Dec 22, 2008.

?

Should Atheists Recognize & Celebrate in Religious Holidays?

1. Yes

54.5%
  2. No

45.5%
  1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Just curious how Atheists react to holidays such as Christmas, Easter, and other Religion based holidays considering they are against their beliefs?

Would / Should a true Atheist not recognize those holidays?

Please explain your reasoning.

(disclaimer: For those who work, in this hypothetical vacation is an option in lieu of a holiday; thus debunking the "We need the time off to!" argument.)

2. PentaCube

PentaCube Registered Member

I personally just celebrate them as if they were an excuse to celebrate, I don't take them in any religious way. I guess I don't quite understand what you mean by recognizing the holiday. If people believe in it who am I to say that their special days are nothing to celebrate? I use them as an excuse to give gifts or just generally party.

3. T-Menace

T-Menace Registered Member

Depends what you mean by recognise? If it's a bank holiday like christmas, boxing day etc than it doesn't really matter what the reason for the holiday is, just a good excuse for a day off work and a trip to the pub.

4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Should Atheists Recognize & Celebrate in Religious Holidays?

I think its perfectly okay for them to.
    I personally see Christmas etc as a great time to spend with family. I'm not religious in the slightest, but I wouldn't refuse to celebrate with my family and friends because of that. I respect the religious side of the holidays but I think its ok for atheists to enjoy them too.
    Why not? Its fun and religious people don't get hugely offended or anything, as far as I know.

5. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

Good question, I voted 'no' even though it's not so black and white. We shouldn't exclude athiests for wanting to join in, in-fact, we should encourage them, but I find it a problem when athiests do join in and take offence at the nature of the holiday, i.e 'It should be called Xmas and not Christmas' or 'F*** off with all this 'God' 'Jesus' stuff... ... ...'
    In saying that, their is a big difference betweeen being athiest and hating God, Jesus, the Saints etc, or just the idea of God, Jesus and the Saints etc. Just being athiest, you don't believe so their is no problem. Hatings is a whole different thing.

icegoat63 likes this.
  6. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

If they want to, they should. Both Christmas and Easter are steeped in paganism and were not originally Christian holidays to begin with. Which is why the whole "don't take Christ out of Christmas!" cracks me up.

7. Xilmwa

Xilmwa Registered Member

Recognize? Yes. Celebrate? It isn't my place to make them celebrate anything.

But they should recognize that we have had this holiday for the past what? 1,900 years? and just because this minority group of people who seem to think God doesn't exist pops up does not give them the right to take it away.

But on the same note, the Christians also shouldn't try to force religion down atheist's throats. It's ok if you tell them what you believe, but it shouldn't matter whether they believe in God or not. All Earth is one tribe, let us treat it that way.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  8. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

I celebrate that silly Jesus not-birthday (he was born in June) with my family, even though my sister is pagan and my dad is also an atheist- we just swap the religion with a family-togetherness theme.

Pagan and natural holidays coincide with christmas (the solstice) which hold fundamental importance for everyone- the days start to get longer and the hope of spring begins.

I made my mother stop getting me easter candy a couple years ago. The only holidays I celebrate are:

MLK Jr. Day
    Presidents' Day
    Memorial Day
    May 1st (Labor Day in Europe)
    Fourth of July
    Feast of St. Andrew (November 30th, it was just made an official Scottish holiday, so it's like St. Patrick's Day for me)
    Veteran's Day
    New Year's

9. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

We do whatever the fuck we want. I just celebrate Kinishmish for the sake of giving gifts and being with family, no other religious point about it

10. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

Old topic, but someone bumped it with a poll-vote.

I voted a conditional "yes" --> Provided said atheists respect the religious background (it's not even a case of belief, it's a case of common decency), I see no problem with any reason to celebrate.

Those who freak out at the very spelling of "Christmas" can all go to work instead.