• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Religion Atheist lawsuit against WTC Cross from 9/11

dDave

V.I.P.
American Atheists Lawsuit Against 'World Trade Center Cross' Goes Before Appeals Court

I think that the American Atheists organization will lose this one. There is no violation of the first amendment here, the government is not endorsing Christianity or forcing it on anyone in this case. I've said this before but I suppose I will say it again, Freedom of Religion does not equate to Freedom FROM Religion, big difference there and I think a lot more people need to recognize that and understand what it means.

What do you guys think about this?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't see what the big deal is. Maybe the land was leased by the government but its a private museum and if they are paying rent on this property then its really none of their business. It would be like if I rented a government owned house and I was told I couldn't put up a Christmas tree.

Laine

Registered Member
I agree with Hilander. Atheists are the one group of people I will never understand. Everything is either black or white with them and their only goal is to make you believe religion has no place in society. Many Estonian's are atheist and I have seen them protest everything from Christmas lights to church groups trying to raise money for world disasters.

This cross is a sign of hope for some and maybe not to others, but why not let the one's who see it as a sign of hope or comfort be allowed to view it? If you do not, then walk past it, it seems simple to me.

As to them charging it is on government property, this to me says they are wanting to separate government and religion which is fair. But as Hilander has said it is rented property by a non-government organization.

Do Atheist protest at the Whitehouse? or Courthouse? or about every government building I can think of that may have a Bible in it? I think they would have a better chance to win a case like that then trying to bring down a sign of comfort and hope to those who were lost in this tragedy.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
There is no such thing as freedom FROM religion. The government cannot guarantee you will be free from seeing or hearing about religion or you would have a claim against someone if it existed. Is this cross forcing anyone to become a Christian? Is it forcing anyone to pray? Are your tax dollars being spent for this cross? If the answers are no, then there is no claim here. If you don't like the cross, ignore it, it's not difficult.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
This is about as dumb as the Stop Islamization of America protests over the plans to build a mosque near ground zero a few years ago. And the mosque wasn't even on government property as far as I'm aware.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
This is about as dumb as the Stop Islamization of America protests over the plans to build a mosque near ground zero a few years ago. And the mosque wasn't even on government property as far as I'm aware.
Agreed. This country is pretty unbalanced the way it handles religion too so it's not surprising to see goofy stuff like this happening. I remember reading some of the most brain dead comments about that too. I remember one guy crying about it claiming that having a mosque would be like a 'trophy for the terrorists'.

The sheer amount of stupid and ignorance in a single sentence is yet to be surpassed.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have heard dumb comments from religious people about other religions and of course atheists about religions. It seems a lot of people are prejudice against many things that aren't their own beliefs. I think people need to learn to live and let live as long as someone isn't being harmed. I doubt that ever happens though.