• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Atheism

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Funny, I thought atheists were people who don't believe in a higher being...

Also funny, I've found that the christians I've met and know, and the atheists I've met and know have the same value for love, friendship, loyalty, blahdy-blahdy-blah.

Shwa

V.I.P.
Blame the study!

I think they have the same capacity. Atheists love, they are honest, they are loyal, they just don't assign the same value to these qualities as someone else who believes that these values are spiritually virtuous. My personal observation is that the study is true.

I finally found it.

http://communities.canada.com/natio...10/11/are-social-virtues-linked-to-faith.aspx
Personal observation? I'mmcalling bulls*** to that, lets see some feild notes and statements you've collected. We can't just rely on your "personal observation". Athiests don't have to have spiritual virtuous to live happy and go about life their own way, they just don't find it necessary to believe in someone/something that isn't there physically or can be 100% proven.

~Shwa'

tipsycatlover

Registered Member
Personal observation? I'mmcalling bulls*** to that, lets see some feild notes and statements you've collected. We can't just rely on your "personal observation". Athiests don't have to have spiritual virtuous to live happy and go about life their own way, they just don't find it necessary to believe in someone/something that isn't there physically or can be 100% proven.

~Shwa'
Then you should reread the article, certainly field notes would be gibberish to you if you cannot comprehend the article. Atheists can be happy and go about life their own way and absolutely don't have to believe in anything unless they wish to (something they would like to deny everyone else by the way), that is not what the study found out.

There are interpersonal qualities that are not particularly important to atheists. They may have those qualities, it's just not important to them. These qualities are love, honesty, loyalty and it turns out forgiveness among others. On a scale of 1 to 10, the atheist will value these qualities less than a believer. What's more, the more families are raised as non-believers and the further non-believers get from the generation of those who believe in a God, the less these qualities mean. The article was Canadian and said that Canada was moving toward a less civil society the more secular it became.

What points would you use to refute the article? My opinion agrees with the article based on my personal experience. My opinion is not an issue, the article makes several points, care to address them specifically. Not what you wish it said, but what it actually did say.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
The article is not as definite as you seem to make it, Tipsy.

It doesn't disclose how the surveying was done and most stats were close to each other. If you presented me with an article stating that atheists are three times less likely to believe in love or any of the other things listed, that would be something.

This still doesn't convince me and personal experience is the worst answer of all. In my short experience of 20 years, the people I've met who are atheist tend to be more reasonable, smarter, more passionate, and a lot better people in general than those who are active in their religious beliefs. I'm not talking an Easter Christian, but someone who actively practices. Doesn't mean I'm right or wrong though, it's just what I've learned.

The article also makes one huge mistake. This guy who did the study grouped together those that said "No religion or other" and simply called it "Don't Believe in God" on the last chart. This makes me think that it's a biased article and that he's simply trying to salvage some positive light for the Christian faith, which can really use it right now.

The only solid definition of atheist is someone who does not believe in a higher power, not someone who is high on him or herself. Don't contribute to the problem Tipsy by grouping people like this Bibby clown does.

Nosferatu_Alucard

Undead Intellectual
The only thing I got out of the article was: If you're atheist, you have no soul.

I am an atheist and damn proud. I want to be entitled to my own thoughts and morals, not the ones of religion. I agree with Merc in saying atheists are more reasonable, smarter, etc. because they are so much more open minded than a person of a religion. Atheists can choose what they think is right or wrong, they aren't already bound like those who follow religion. I mean they could, but most religions intimidate going against them with fire, ash, and brimstone.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Neither side is right, so to say, Nos. Religious folk can be great people, just like atheists. We know this already that two sides can be good. However, these people try and find trends and try and prove that one side is worse than the other. When people try to say that Christianity is a gentler, more sane choice than atheism, I show them this:

tipsycatlover

Registered Member
That's pretty much what I was talking about. The photo is supposed to create an impression that Jesus was cruicifed by Christians! Not quite true.

I have found that atheists consider themselves smarter, more passionate, more reasonable and just better people than those who believe in a God. That does not make it true, it just makes it their opinon of themselves!

If there is any lesson I have learned in my life it's: Don't trust a Christian, but really don't trust an atheist who will act in their own self-interest each and every time believing they are smarter, more reasonable and more passionate than anyone else.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
The only people I trust are agnostics because they flat don't care either way. Atheists and religious folk love their beliefs and many of them will do a lot to convince others they're right and to embarass the other side. It's why I consider myself more agnostic than anything because I don't believe one way or another.