• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Atheism

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Is it funny that this isn't the first time I've seen a religious conversation turn to dinosaur hunting?

pikatore

Registered Member
And what is the benefit to the homeless uneducated man to be ask to decide on business matters? He just want to be happy and at peace, he want to hear about what he can obtain, he want to have hopes, who would you say can live a better, happier life?. A homeless uneducated man that believes that his trails and tribulations are temporal and that there is an eternal life, a life that is indescribably happy or the business man that is in doubt, and worries that his position of advantage may change for the worst at anytime? A business man that know that at the end, he cant take it with him, that all that he built will be left behind.
I don't see your point. My educated business man/uneducated homeless person analogy had nothing to do with materialistic qualities. It was to do with how it is more likely that the former will be more cautious and skeptical of extraordinary claims. That paragraph brings nothing to this debate.

manuel

Registered Member
I don't see your point. My educated business man/uneducated homeless person analogy had nothing to do with materialistic qualities. It was to do with how it is more likely that the former will be more cautious and skeptical of extraordinary claims. That paragraph brings nothing to this debate.
I see it now, are saying that the majority of educated man are atheist or sceptical? And that this is due to their higher education? Am I to understand that education or lack of it determinate one’s religion, I will wait for your response and we can discuss your position, also you can clarify for me, what exactly is the point that you are making, intellect, faith, rationality, knowledge and their relationship to each other.

pikatore

Registered Member
I see it now, are saying that the majority of educated man are atheist or sceptical? And that this is due to their higher education? Am I to understand that education or lack of it determinate one’s religion, I will wait for your response and we can discuss your position, also you can clarify for me, what exactly is the point that you are making, intellect, faith, rationality, knowledge and their relationship to each other.
No, I was suggesting a weak correlation between education/modernization and secularism.

Homeless people who have led a life of ignorance and dullness are more likely to believe in ANYTHING let alone God (they are quite a targeted source by the Church of Scientology) than educated, worldly people. It shows how ANY idea, no matter how untested or solid, can be taken up by people who have such a narrow point of view, which is a direct product of the simple, local life they live.

manuel

Registered Member
Pikatore,
You say:
No, I was suggesting a weak correlation between education/modernization and secularism.
I see and agreed with you, people in disadvantage are depressed and need something that will lift their spirits and politician are very good at exploiting this and apparently very dishonest in their promises, that they use them, take advantages of them. the question is, is this a bad thing, in the case of Democracies the hope given and the support receive is of short duration, but does good to them to have hopes for a better world.
Now think on believing in God, the person that does believe get a spiritual lift that last till their death, they live a happy life in hope of a better and ever lasting one, is this a bad thing? Where did you get your information on scientology? I was approached by them when attending the Sydney Technical College more than 30 years ago, and in those days it was one of their favourite hunting ground, I remember been asked to fill a questionary and then they came back a few days later to tell me that they knew what was holding me from achieving great success, that I have to buy a series of book written by a guy that I don’t remember his name, I was young and recently migrated to Australia from Chile, the books were expensive, about 3 month worth of my gross earnings and out of reach, so I turned then down, I don’t know how they operate this days, but I notice that they target the rich, educated and famous, I may be wrong though. What do you know?
------
Pikatore,
You say:
No, I was suggesting a weak correlation between education/modernization and secularism
I see and agreed with you, people in disadvantage are depressed and need something that will lift their spirits and politician are very good at exploiting this and apparently very dishonest in their promises, that they use them, take advantages of them. the question is, is this a bad thing? in the case of Democracies the hope given and the support receive is of short duration, but does good to them to have hopes for a better world.
Now think on believing in God, the person that does believe gets a spiritual lift that last till their death, they live a happy life in hope of a better and ever lasting one, is this a bad thing?.
Where did you get your information on scientology? I was approached by them when attending the Sydney Technical College more than 30 years ago and in those days it was one of their favourite hunting ground, I remember been asked to fill a questionary and then they came back a few days later to tell me that the knew what was holding me from achieving great success, that I have to buy a series of books written by a guy that I don’t remember his name, I was young and recently migrated to Australia from Chile, the books were expensive, about 3 month worth of my gross earnings and out of reach, so I turned then down, I don’t know how they operate this days, but I notice that they target the rich, educated and famous, I may be wrong though. What do you know?

Last edited: