• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

    Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

ATF wants back-door registration of rifles

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Under the guise of the controlling the drug trade related crime problem in Mexico, the ATF has requested new powers from the white house budget office.

Feds want reporting for high-powered rifle sales - Yahoo! News

WTF?!? A federal agency makes this type of request of the "white house budget office"?

Since there is currently no registration of rifle purchases, this would require a national registry database so gun dealers would know that a rifle was previously purchased by the customer.

Funny how they are trying to back-door rifle registration. I guess that now is the time to get that AK & M4, if you are so inclined. Also interesting: any rifle caliber bigger than a .22 is now considered "high-powered" (more demonizing language from the gun grabbers).
 

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'd be in agreement with you if it wasn't for this:

... requiring border-area gun dealers ...


It's also only 180 days so call me silly, but I think this is the ATF attempting some sort of operation here. I'm sure if they wanted something permanent, they would have aimed for it. A temporary registration on border-area gun dealers hardly seems like the work of the "gun grabbers". Like I said, this has more of a stench of some sort of operation the ATF is probably attempting to put a real squeeze on illegal gun traffic in and out of Mexico which has been a serious problem for a long time. Arguably, a bigger problem than the drug wars.
 

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
It should be obvious that imposing this "rule" on 4 states will have no impact on crime in Mexico, where the preferred rifles are the fully automatic type that are not manufactured or sold in the US. I believe less than 10% of the guns are traceable to the US, other sources make up the other 80 - 90% of the weapons confiscated from Mexican criminals.

The gun-grabber comment was directed at those that share the gun control agenda and their media accomplices that call all rifles except those .22 caliber or smaller "high-power" or call a particular bullet "cop-killer" etc. The creative use of language to intentionally mislead those that don't know any better is their standard practice.

Funny how this is now suddenly an "emergency", during the holiday season when many are too busy to pay attention to these types of things. Why is it an emergency now? Why is this a budget item rule and not a law to be debated by elected officials instead of a rule implemented by unelected bureaucrats?
 

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I don't know about this:

Officials on both sides of the border have said weapons bought legally in the United States are routinely smuggled into the Mexico.
The weapon of choice these drug cartels are fully automatic weapons that are not sold in the US, I don't see how this is going to stop any of the crime that has been going on.
 

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It should be obvious that imposing this "rule" on 4 states will have no impact on crime in Mexico, where the preferred rifles are the fully automatic type that are not manufactured or sold in the US. I believe less than 10% of the guns are traceable to the US, other sources make up the other 80 - 90% of the weapons confiscated from Mexican criminals.
How are you sure this will have no effect? I'm not saying I'm on board with this idea of theirs (I think the ATF is one of the most corrupt groups in this country) but what makes you so sure that there's no border problems with illegal guns? "I believe" is not something factually based. Give me a few links to show some of this please.

The gun-grabber comment was directed at those that share the gun control agenda and their media accomplices that call all rifles except those .22 caliber or smaller "high-power" or call a particular bullet "cop-killer" etc. The creative use of language to intentionally mislead those that don't know any better is their standard practice.
I think you'll find that is standard practice with every media outlet. It's not something special that 'gun grabbers' only do. Doesn't make it right, but you seem convinced its got a specific target.

Funny how this is now suddenly an "emergency", during the holiday season when many are too busy to pay attention to these types of things. Why is it an emergency now? Why is this a budget item rule and not a law to be debated by elected officials instead of a rule implemented by unelected bureaucrats?
Because it's only going to be implemented for 180 days? That doesn't sound like a law to me. Also, it's not a 'rule'. Read the article again. Also, you don't think this could be part of some operation they're running? That's my only real answer to this with the facts considered. It covers only the border states, is a temporary regulation and is targeting a specific category of weaponry. Seems a bit specific to be something someone is doing for fun just to fuck with the legal gun owners. Not to mention, if you wanted to fuck with gun owners, don't you think the south would be an awfully bad choice? It'd be much easier to try other states first.
 

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Not only does the Post use the tried and true role of blaming the US for Mexico's problems, they're Calderon's mouthpiece for doing so. He and much of Mexico blame the US for the mess that country is in when the real culprit is the rampant corruption in that country.

This attempt by the ATF will result in nothing, it's not going to make even a small dent in the border violence problem.
 

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I think you'll find that is standard practice with every media outlet. It's not something special that 'gun grabbers' only do. Doesn't make it right, but you seem convinced its got a specific target.
Sure, it is standard practice for the gun-control supporting main-stream media. They constantly interview or quote someone from the Brady Campaign or similar gun-control advocacy group and present slanted statistics. It is obvious they have a specific target.
------
Because it's only going to be implemented for 180 days? That doesn't sound like a law to me. Also, it's not a 'rule'. Read the article again. Also, you don't think this could be part of some operation they're running? That's my only real answer to this with the facts considered. It covers only the border states, is a temporary regulation and is targeting a specific category of weaponry. Seems a bit specific to be something someone is doing for fun just to fuck with the legal gun owners. Not to mention, if you wanted to fuck with gun owners, don't you think the south would be an awfully bad choice? It'd be much easier to try other states first.
You do realize that this would be almost impossible to implement in 180 days, right? But what they want is 180 days of FUNDING. That is why the request was made to the budget office. That funding would be used to set up the regulatory infrastructure that would enable future implementation of a rifle registry and tracking database. Rules requiring licensed gun dealers participation would need to be written, enforcement codes and penalties, and informing and training dealers how to use the system would be required.

The 180 days (6 mo) of funding would only get the pieces of the puzzle in place for the next phase.
 
Last edited:

Strayjack

Registered Member
It's another classic reaction by our gov't and this administration, showing blame on law abiding citizens of the U.S. instead of focusing on the problem across the border.

Being in Texas, purchasing a rifle require you to fill out paperwork and background check on the spot. Same process you go through when purchasing a handgun. What is the percentile of weapons coming from the U.S. used in illegal activity/crime in Mexico? How many high caliber assault Rifles come from neighboring country beside the U.S.? This problem is not going to stop the killing in Mexico no matter how this administration try to be diplomatic. The problem is on the other side of the American border... time to use some common sense.

This is just another attempt by Obama's bureaucrats in trying to control the citizen. More gov't foothold in the sissyfication of the U.S. and their stranglehold of liberty.
 
Top