• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Ataturk International bombed

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
The 11th busiest and one of the most modern and secure airports on the planet got hit today by 3 suicide bombers. 28 people died and 60 were injured but no claim for responsibility yet. John Kerry is trying to find out if any of the victims were American and Obama was briefed.
They had Kalashnikovs but that's no clue. Everyone and their camel has those weapons.
Possible suspects are the PKK, IS, and al-Qaeda. The airport is totally shut down till Wednesday.
. http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/28/europe/turkey-istanbul-airport-attacks/index.html

I mean, if they can get past security at Ataturk, no airport is safe now.
Thoughts?

Knight_of_Albion

Registered Member
Poor souls ....

What a cowardly act.
I've no doubt IS will be broken in Syria and Iraq, the great danger then is of IS splinter groups and sympathisers carrying out lone wolf or small cell attacks like this one. Disturbingly, could be anywhere.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's sad that this had to happen. Feel sorry for anyone that was caught up in or lost someone to this. Bet IS had something to do with it. Of course it could have been any number of groups that have been treated badly by Erdogan or maybe they don't like him trying to get along with Israel.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wonder what the purpose of the pre-suicide-bombing gunfight was. Did they want to blow something else up and just get stopped?

Powerful

Registered Member
I wonder what the purpose of the pre-suicide-bombing gunfight was. Did they want to blow something else up and just get stopped?
I wondered that, too. Maybe they wanted to get further into the airport where it was more populated. Saw video of one police officer shooting one of the suspects then running when the guy was down because he saw he had a bomb. Then a blast.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Create mass panic and have everyone running outside where there was another bomber. Get the highest possible casualty by shooting as much as they could before detonating... which it looks like worked.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Good points. The CIA and FSB think there may be 4 more involved that fled the airport. It's totally possible that part of their plan was fail.
Also, I'm not getting all happy that CIA Director Brennan discussed the possibility of a similar attack in the US. He's totally convinced it was Daesh (IS) too.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/cia-chie...d-sees-a-warning-for-americans-114533644.html

I mean, why even discuss that possibility if it can't happen.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Good points. The CIA and FSB think there may be 4 more involved that fled the airport. It's totally possible that part of their plan was fail.
Also, I'm not getting all happy that CIA Director Brennan discussed the possibility of a similar attack in the US. He's totally convinced it was Daesh (IS) too.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/cia-chie...d-sees-a-warning-for-americans-114533644.html

I mean, why even discuss that possibility if it can't happen.
It can happen and they know it.

Somehow Brennan thinks getting rid of Assad will help things, claims he is a magnet for extremist groups. I don't see that, if that happens I think it will make things worse like it did with Iraq. Not that I like Assad anymore than I did Saddam but we see what happens when you cause a country to become unstable. Often one side is no better than the other.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
It can happen and they know it.

Somehow Brennan thinks getting rid of Assad will help things, claims he is a magnet for extremist groups. I don't see that, if that happens I think it will make things worse like it did with Iraq. Not that I like Assad anymore than I did Saddam but we see what happens when you cause a country to become unstable. Often one side is no better than the other.
It's part of the art of disinformation.
Brennan knows that people mostly never believe politicians and officials. So any public statement he makes is probaly true - maybe even worse.
If Daesh can get past security at one of the most secure airports in the world - Ataturk - they can get past our security too.

Taking out Assad is how the US is attacking Iran. If Iran didn't have pipelines in Syria to sell their oil, the US would probaly totally ignore Assad. Qatar and the Saudis also want those pipelines shut down and those countries, Iraq, and Turkey are bigger magnets for terrorists than Assad. - Well, not as messed up as Xinjiang province in China or Tajikistan but yeah.